cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things I just realised..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was in ASDA today & found out that you don’t need a quid / token to release the trolleys from each other.

How long has that been happening? Can you tell I’m a sad lonely single basket user....

Message 1 of 463
462 REPLIES 462

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morrisons have free-to-use trolleys ... I always use a trolly as I find the baskets heavy when empty ... always the self-service checkouts ... & ... take trolley to point nearest the pedestrian crossing home, carrying 2 shopping bags + brolly + over the shoulder everyday bag is a lot & it's uphill home ... there is a trolley man,  and  Morrisons have plenty of checkouts in use, but I find the self-service quicker & very easy to use

There is an Aldi on the edge of town, but I'd need transport there & back so I've not been to that store yet

My son & daughter-in-law use their Aldi / Lidl & tell me the produce they stock is good

Message 21 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yes the staff at the tills are what lets Aldi and Lidl down.

Sell cheap and most of the staff are in the warehouse and stocking shelves...

Now that's interesting that two of you have commented about the tills being a letdown, because that's not been my experience at all. In Sainsbury's they always ask me if I need any help with my packing, and I always decline the offer, because I feel it would actually slow the cashier down. The reason that Aldi's checkout staff are generally faster is because there's no space next to the till to load your bags, and it's got to go straight into your trolley. Once you've moved away from the tills, you still have that wide shelf to properly pack your bags. It's no coincidence that Lidl operates in exactly the same way.

And then there's the railway style announcements "Till number 4 is now opening"  Smiley Very Happy

It's German efficiency at its very best, but not everyone gets it  wink

Message 22 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Yes the staff at the tills are what lets Aldi and Lidl down.

Sell cheap and most of the staff are in the warehouse and stocking shelves...

Now that's interesting that two of you have commented about the tills being a letdown, because that's not been my experience at all. In Sainsbury's they always ask me if I need any help with my packing, and I always decline the offer, because I feel it would actually slow the cashier down. The reason that Aldi's checkout staff are generally faster is because there's no space next to the till to load your bags, and it's got to go straight into your trolley. Once you've moved away from the tills, you still have that wide shelf to properly pack your bags. It's no coincidence that Lidl operates in exactly the same way.

And then there's the railway style announcements "Till number 4 is now opening"  Smiley Very Happy

It's German efficiency at its very best, but not everyone gets it  wink

It’s not the staff.. it’s the lack of staff.. (when the staff are there, I can’t complain)

Message 23 of 463

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Exactly what I meant as well @Anonymous i.e. not enough staff at the checkout at Aldi and Lidl. .

Anyway, not that it bothers me, as I rarely shop instore. My other half does,.

If left to me, I always shop online. The only thing I have to worry about is putting it away..wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Exactly what I meant as well @Anonymous i.e. not enough staff at the checkout at Aldi and Lidl. .

Anyway, not that it bothers me, as I rarely shop instore. My other half does,.

If left to me, I always shop online. The only thing I have to worry about is putting it away..wink

The ASDA guy laughs every time he comes here because I pour everything out on the kitchen floor and let him shoot off. He tells me some people start putting items away while he’s waiting for the baskets and he can’t do anything about it.

Message 25 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

the Morrisons people are friendly & good at their job ... he / she tells me which bag is heavy (usually catfood) ... I put the bags on the stairs / counter or on / by the table 

Tesco's people are less well mannered eg one criticised loudly the 'garden ornaments (not gnomes) / furniture' in my yard = I do attempt to make it look a bit 'pretty' ... I don't shop Tesco anymore

Message 26 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

the Morrisons people are friendly & good at their job ... he / she tells me which bag is heavy (usually catfood) ... I put the bags on the stairs / counter or on / by the table 

Tesco's people are less well mannered eg one criticised loudly the 'garden ornaments (not gnomes) / furniture' in my yard = I do attempt to make it look a bit 'pretty' ... I don't shop Tesco anymore

I had you down for Waitrose! 😉

Message 27 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Waitrose up here @Anonymous

@Gloria1 uses Waitrose, I believe

Nearest Sainsbury's is Keighley

The town has a Morrison's quite near me ... but ... I can panic in there

However I do find the bread is not the freshest & the sell by date on 'ready meals' etc quite near their expiry date on online deliveries

Message 28 of 463

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

However I do find the bread is not the freshest & the sell by date on 'ready meals' etc quite near their expiry date on online deliveries

And yeah we don’t have a Waitrose near here either.. I guess we’re just ‘the other half’ (thinking about it I’ve never been in one)

ASDA is quite good.. if you ring up and complain about the order, dates, replacements etc., they refund without question.. 

Message 29 of 463

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And yeah we don’t have a Waitrose near here either.. I guess we’re just ‘the other half’ (thinking about it I’ve never been in one)

ASDA is quite good.. if you ring up and complain about the order, dates, replacements etc., they refund without question.. 

With a voucher too... 

Message 30 of 463