https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46535739

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Any chance of another referendum on Brexit?

Why, because politicians lied? They lie at every general election but no one ever asks for another vote then..

People need to (wo)man up and face up to this..

Message 11 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Whereas, I think if the British public knew then what we know now....there would be no Brexit...

(just a personal opinion)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 47

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I agree @Cleoriff. Regardless of any of us being man enough to face up to it, the repercussions of leaving are far worse than any of the perceived benefits, which will never happen anyway.
Come what may, we have no choice but to man up although it will ruin the country, businesses and peoples lives.
I'm just grateful to have a get out plan.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Whereas, I think if the British public knew then what we know now....there would be no Brexit...

Seeing that the EU want us to pay up for leaving. Add to that the 'deal' they've agreed to. It's not a deal it's a stranglehold.

I think Brexit has made some people realise what a bunch of tyrants the EU are & the power they think they wield. 

I'd have still voted to leave today.

Message 14 of 47

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Seeing that the EU want us to pay up for leaving. Add to that the 'deal' they've agreed to. It's not a deal it's a stranglehold.

I think Brexit has made some people realise what a bunch of tyrants the EU are & the power they think they wield. 

I agree to some extent, though no-one envisaged the cost of leaving nor the so called tyranny of the EU delegates (which was brought about when GB voted to leave)

I would make an uninformed guess that many who voted to leave did so for 3 reasons.

1) Immigration

2) They wanted the UK back to how it was (as if that was ever a possibility!)

3) The NHS funding which was promised

They wanted to pull up the drawbridge and revert to the 70's.

There was a wealth of misinformation published. No disrespect to the British people at all, but we did NOT know the full picture, when we toddled along to the polls. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 47

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I don't think that anyone either knew the full picture then nor ever will. There is too much obfuscation in terms of how we fund the EU and what we get back, and in what influences go in both direction.
I would agree in part with the reasons with @Cleoriff stated above - having more control over who is allowed to enter and remain in the country, better control over the UK legal system and where "our" money is spent.
Unfortunately only the middle one is likely to happen.
Until the border control and the immigration system are under much better control, and the amount and manner in which financial handouts are reviewed and in line with those in work the number of people entering the country will remain high and we will be the destination of choice for those wanting an easy life.
For the third reason, until the budgets are controlled by an external 3rd party (including the wages and expenses of MPs) that is also highly unlikely.

However the vote was influenced though, the outcome was decided. Would a second vote deliver a different outcome? Not sure, and aside from that would we be allowed to continue as we were in the EU or would there be further negotiations for us to remain in? And what would those terms be?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 16 of 47

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I agree to some extent, though no-one envisaged the cost of leaving nor the so called tyranny of the EU delegates (which was brought about when GB voted to leave)

I would make an uninformed guess that many who voted to leave did so for 3 reasons.

1) Immigration

2) They wanted the UK back to how it was (as if that was ever a possibility!)

3) The NHS funding which was promised

They wanted to pull up the drawbridge and revert to the 70's.

There was a wealth of misinformation published. No disrespect to the British people at all, but we did NOT know the full picture, when we toddled along to the polls. 

I've no doubt that if we knew then, what we know now the vote would have been to stay in the EU. The money promised for the NHS if we voted to leave was pie in the sky and never likely to happen. 

But then I don't  want to live in a United States of Europe either, which is the EU's goal. If I wanted that I'd have stayed in the original!

So as I see it we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. No matter we stay or we go we're screwed.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 17 of 47

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Image result for we're all doomed gif

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 47

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Next Tory leader, latest odds:

The one who lied on a bus 6-1
The one who lied about impact assessments 8-1
The one who lied to Parliament and resigned 10-1
The one who lied and didn’t resign 15-1
The one who destroyed the NHS 20-1
The one who didn’t know we were an island 8-1

Currently using:
Message 19 of 47

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Brexit or not, we'd still be screwed one way or another. The debt bombs given to the ascended EU countries in the forms of loans will at some point, fail to be paid off. Just point to Greece and that was raised 20 years ago when they joined the EU which is being asset stripped by the German banks. We have Italy who just get money thrown at them and will not sort themselves out yet nothing is really done about it because they're a founder member. Everyone will pay for that down the line.

Only recently you have had Spain, Portugual and Ireland all asking for bail outs and this is a viscious circle we'll all end up paying for. Then you've got the inherent problem of youth unemployment which has not gone down and is growing complicated by the migration crisis forcing additional stress on governments which then need to borrow money but can't because the EU say their budgets are wrong. But going off on a rant there but immigration was never a factor in my decision to vote. 

As for TM, it was always going to be a EU given deal so no matter what. All she had to do was put an actual deadline in for the backstop and that would more or less sorted out the withdrawl agreement and leave the actual details to the exit negotiations rather than find herself in a mess she's actually created herself. The stupidity of calling a general election was her downfall. 

As for the so-called second referendum, I really don't get how 1) we've had a referendum 2) a general election 3) another general election 4) Article 50 which the MP's pushed for and now some are insisting on another one to do what exactly? If its 1-1 then shouldn't we have a third to make sure we don't have a tie-breaking situation? Perhaps we should give the MP's the ultimatium if you want another referendum then you should stand down and be barred from public office if you're that convinced of the result. Solves two problems at once. 

Of course Brexit can be postponed, just need a war to break out for that. 

Sheepdog in "rare political rant" mode

Message 20 of 47