Did you mean: 

The wonderful work of nurses (and other staff) at G.O.S.H

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I don't normally do this, but read a great article on what it takes a to be nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital on The Independent website. Check it out here

"By lunchtime Melissa Strickland has seen every child on Koala Ward, found beds for new patients and reassured a string of worried patients.

She is a ward sister at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) and since 7.30am, when she started her shift, she has been responsible for children being treated for epilepsy, complex craniofacial syndromes, neuromuscular disorders and spinal cord abnormalities.

“The resilience of children is spectacular. I never ever, ever get bored here. There is always a challenge and it sounds really mushy but it’s very healing working here,” she says.

“You see another side of life. When you go home you see people rushing to get on the Tube being grumpy about their bit of space, but there’s another side to life.”"

I thought some of you would appreciate reading this, especially @Cleoriff and @Anonymous.

I have the upmost respect for the people that work there and their contribution to helping poorly children is something that blows my mind every time I hear about it. I'm not sure if I could do the job. They are some of the strongest people I read about and it must be a terribly hard job, but a rewarding one.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Amen to that.
Message 2 of 54

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12065 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
some of my immediate family and some of my wife's family have been treated as part of G.O.S.H. and at all times they have been fantastic.
The work nurses do to keep wards and hospitals running is often overlooked, and in the vast majority of cases the nurses the hospital would simply stop working without them.
Basically, hurrah and keep up the good work!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 54

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

It is wonderful to read....and GOSH do brilliant innovative work...no one questions that. They can do this due to the many benefactors donating to the hospital and funding research projects. They can also afford to employ the very best and all hail to that....

I champion all nurses...particularly those working in inner city slum hospitals in poor conditions fighting against the odds to provide the very very best care for neglected and abused children.

These are the ones striving to make things better and giving 100% in desperate situations.

Please dont get annoyed at my comments. GOSH is a flagship hospital and deserves every accolade going...but there are others who deserve just as much recognition and they never get it...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 54

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

It is wonderful to read....and GOSH do brilliant innovative work...no one questions that. They can do this due to the many benefactors donating to the hospital and funding research projects. They can also afford to employ the very best and all hail to that....

I champion all nurses...particularly those working in inner city slum hospitals in poor conditions fighting against the odds to provide the very very best care for neglected and abused children.

These are the ones striving to make things better and giving 100% in desperate situations.

Please dont get annoyed at my comments. GOSH is a flagship hospital and deserves every accolade going...but there are others who deserve just as much recognition and they never get it...

I agree @Cleoriff, all medical staff deserve recognition. My mother was a Paramedic up until a few years ago. Not an easy job either! She did a fantastic job though it seems and she does miss it at times.

Thanks for sharing your story @gmarkj. I'm so glad they could help you family slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 5 of 54

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

So much respect for these dedicated people,  just a shame they don't get the recognition they deserve. 

Message 6 of 54

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

G.O.S.H. do fantastic work, and because of the high profile of the kind of work done there, they tend to, through no fault of their own, steal the limelight, as it were. I have to agree with @Cleoriff and put my support behind all the dedicated people who work for the NHS. I come from a country where national health is only in its fledgling stages with Obamacare. If some of my countrymen are stupid enough to elect Trump president, it might even disappear, so I'm a great supporter of the NHS, and all the good it does.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 54

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that other medical staff are not to be commended as much as GOSH staff members, I just thought it was a nice article to share slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 8 of 54

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi guys,

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that other medical staff are not to be commended as much as GOSH staff members, I just thought it was a nice article to share slight_smile

Is a very good article and I commend them wholeheartedly but I'm only alive today due to the skill and dedication of the NHS staff. If it was up to me I would ensure they got the same recognition they richly deserve.  

Message 9 of 54

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
I have the upmost respect for the people that work there and their contribution to helping poorly children is something that blows my mind every time I hear about it. I'm not sure if I could do the job. They are some of the strongest people I read about and it must be a terribly hard job, but a rewarding one.

If you have to do the job, you're able to do it.

Thought like that too a while ago wink

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 10 of 54