Did you mean: 

The first day of spring is here!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Whilst you may not realise it by looking out the window today marks the arrival of the spring equinox and the beginning of spring! Today spring begins according to the astronomical calendar, which measures the seasons based on the tilt of the Earth in relation to our orbit around the Sun. 

Along with longer days and warmer weather to look forward too here are a few other interesting facts about Spring: 

• The first day of spring in the Southern Hemisphere is the first day of fall in the Northern Hemisphere.

• For the Japanese, the opening of the cherry blossom, Japan’s national flower, in March or April signals the start of spring.

• In spring, the Earth’s axis is tilted toward the sun, increasing the number of daylight hours and bringing warmer weather.

• Severe weather most often occurs during the spring, when warm air begins to move up from the lower latitudes and cold air pushes down from the polar regions.

• Animals begin to shed their winter coats for the warmer weather.

• In Christianity, Spring is marked by Easter which signifies the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

• In China, as well as other Southeast Asian countries, Spring marks the beginning of a new year in the lunar calendar and being celebrated as the ‘Chinese New Year’.

What's your favourite thing about the spring time? Do you have any other interesting facts about spring? Let me know in the comments below wink

Further reading

spring-daffodils_2845661b.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

My cats start shedding their fur all over the furniture when spring comes. LOL

I can't wait for the day when I don't have to wear a warm jacket outside! Happy Dance

Message 11 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff It's similar here. Looks glorious but you need a jacket if you're stepping outside! 

@Marjo Same the hover will be working overtime for the next few months! Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 12