Did you mean: 

The first day of spring is here!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Whilst you may not realise it by looking out the window today marks the arrival of the spring equinox and the beginning of spring! Today spring begins according to the astronomical calendar, which measures the seasons based on the tilt of the Earth in relation to our orbit around the Sun. 

Along with longer days and warmer weather to look forward too here are a few other interesting facts about Spring: 

• The first day of spring in the Southern Hemisphere is the first day of fall in the Northern Hemisphere.

• For the Japanese, the opening of the cherry blossom, Japan’s national flower, in March or April signals the start of spring.

• In spring, the Earth’s axis is tilted toward the sun, increasing the number of daylight hours and bringing warmer weather.

• Severe weather most often occurs during the spring, when warm air begins to move up from the lower latitudes and cold air pushes down from the polar regions.

• Animals begin to shed their winter coats for the warmer weather.

• In Christianity, Spring is marked by Easter which signifies the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

• In China, as well as other Southeast Asian countries, Spring marks the beginning of a new year in the lunar calendar and being celebrated as the ‘Chinese New Year’.

What's your favourite thing about the spring time? Do you have any other interesting facts about spring? Let me know in the comments below wink

Further reading

spring-daffodils_2845661b.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Spring is my second favourite season because the weather gets warm enough to shed heavy coats and gloves but not so hot you want to shed all your clothes...😁

I also love seeing the beautiful flowers blooming and the trees with all their leaves.

I'm not keen on all the rain and March winds. But the flowers and trees need the rain so I don't moan too much.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Spring usually heralds the end of winter (which I loathe)...Light mornings... lighter nights I love natural light so being able to keep curtains open for longer without switching on the lights is a bonus.

The gardens start waking up. My cats are happier being outside longer.

Having said all that...in 1979 we had snow in May!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Can't wait to change the clocks next weekend.
March 26th 2017.....
Don't forget....
Spring Forward .....(Clocks go forward in Spring.... and we have an hours LESS time in bed)
Fall Back......In October when they go back an hour (in Autumn or Fall) , to prepare for winter.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spring means longer days of natural light which @Cleoriff has mentioned above  ^  ^  ^  ... clear light which uplifts my spirit(s) ... sunshine after dreary cold days of Winter ... colourful Spring flowers ... all heralding warmer weather to come with days spent being outside slight_smile 

Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Can't wait to change the clocks next weekend.
March 26th 2017.....
Don't forget....
Spring Forward .....(Clocks go forward in Spring.... and we have an hours LESS time in bed)

Yes indeed. Spring forward. I am away this weekend. No doubt I wont be in bed till 2 am. I then will stagger out of bed 3 hrs later so I can watch the first race of the F1 season. In Australia which starts at 6am. (5am actually)

Going to be a really really good day. Not forgetting that the 'festivities' start all over again at 2pm..FGS...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Moan, moan, moan wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Moan, moan, moan wink

Pfftttt ....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Yes the longer days are a big favourite of mine. When it's daylight when I leave for work and arrive home is a big milestone for me slight_smile

The cats also start spending more time out which gives me a few moments of quiet! Smiley Very Happy

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The sun being out is glorious. However, I would direct your attention to the temperature in my neck of the woods. Smiley Mad

Central heating is still on I can assure you!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12