Did you mean: 

The fantastic "little" OMNIA cooker

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi all ~ even if you don't care to cook much or even if you do,

thought you would like to see this cooker I bought about 5 years ago from a Chandlers Shop.

This little cooker, cooks everthing you could need ~ bread, cake, stews.  It can be used on boats, camping and at home.  I use it every week. Would really miss this little treasure.

Can be used on Gas or Electric (not induction) I did not believe that it could do so much.  The more I used it the more I was confident.  I have cooked bread, cake, stews, baked potatoes to name just a few things. 

There isn't a thermostat it is very basic and you get used to the time, normally it is very much like using an ordinary cooker. Something that takes 30 mins usually does but it can be checked on if need be.

Very economical too.

It is made in Sweden.  

This is a new one (mine looks used of course!)

Omnia.jpg

This is it in parts ~ heat up bottom part before cooking about 3 mins. Fill the Centre with your ingredients and then put lid on.

Omnia oven.jpg

This is how it works ~

omnia-how-it-works.jpg

The heat is well distributed ~ absolutely fascinating to cook with this tiny cooker with a very big range of abilities.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 11 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Dutch Oven has a different meaning in these parts....joy

I expected to be sent to my room without any supper!

@TallTrees  I can cook, but I prefer to bake. These days without a cooker I do very little. The microwave & the halogen do for me these days!

Message 12 of 28

TallTrees
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @jonsie
Don't know what to say to that remembering the sensitivity of this forum I won't ask will do much wondering 😏 I'm not worldly👼
That sounds uncomplicated and easy @Anonymous , I don't use my oven much. I was looking for alternatives, found that little Omnia easy to use doesn't need much cleaning either. I would like to find a small easy to clean cooker that did everything sounds like a microwave 😀

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 28

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Looks really clever @TallTrees , another interesting thread from you grin

Whats the quality of the cooked food itself like?

Message 14 of 28

TallTrees
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Hi @dgilbert2 ..thanks
Quality/taste no different to conventionally cooked food, just different method.
I became interested from a cost point of view initially, but it's more than that. In some countries cooking fuel is limited can't slow cook on oven for hours and then saw they continued the cooking process without further heat source in a modern way which I could use too, if I wanted to.☺

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 28

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I had never seen that bag either @TallTrees, but the idea behind it is quite clever! Have you found there are some limitations to using those energy-saving methods, or are you happy to use them pretyt much all the time? 

It's definitely something I try to keep in mind myself, and as my oven isn't great at the moment it's just a bit more incentive to use it less slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 16 of 28

TallTrees
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

The heat retainer bag is fab isn't it! Fantastic

Do the cook in your cast iron pot (maybe le creuset yahoo) then pop it in the insulated bag! Just like a slow cooker but not on electric all day. The bag retains the heat all day.  Well done the ladies. 

My slow cooker is old and works at about 60W needs to be on 7/8 hours.

I can't think of any limitations ~ need to get used to using the Omnia but the cast iron/bag is not different.

These kind of things come from "having to be economical" or no cooking range in certain countries.

A Pioneer ! 

To-day I baked in my oven "hurrah" Good Idea  This would cook in my Omnia too but would come out in a round shape.  

You might like this EmilieT

It is a Pioneers Australian Pan Cake (given to me by my neighbour) I loved this cake.

8 oz butter

8 oz molasses sugar

8 oz Self Raising Flour

12 oz whole dates  (this was sultanas originally but the dates are great)

4oz whole or chopped walnuts

2 eggs.

This is the fun bit ~ In a large pan melt butter and sugar together when all mixed take off heat.

lightly whisk the 2 eggs and stir into mix then put in the fruit/nuts then the flour mix all together

in the pan

Pour into a greased tin.

I used two 7 inch tins put about 1/2 mix in each

Bake for 40 mins in a 150c fan oven. 

If no fan just check at about 30 mins and continue till cooked.

That is Fuss Free!  Took me about 15mins to make.

This is what they looked like before oven and after ~ WP_20181108_13_04_44_Pro (2).jpg    WP_20181108_13_48_47_Pro.jpg

They won't last long ~ they are cooling now!

Can't wait. 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 17 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

My life seems so simple

Electric cooker

Wap it in the oven at the required temperature

Make a cup of tea, watch banal trash on tv

Take out and eat!

Bedtime......

Message 18 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

My life seems so simple

Electric cooker

Wap it in the oven at the required temperature

Make a cup of tea, watch banal trash on tv

Take out and eat!

Bedtime......

thumbsup

Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I do admit we have become lazy in our house.

When I worked I used a slow cooker so stews, casseroles etc were ready when we got home from work.

Sunday lunch, cooked in the oven....

Now I have a microwave which is a combi, with grill and oven. We use that more than any other device. The halogen hob is used as well...though not as much as the combi device.

The problem is, with a family who have different tastes in the food we eat, it's far more convenient for this household.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28