The White Room Thursday Quiz - New Year Special

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25137 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the New Year Special Edition of 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

As with the White Room Thursday Quiz Christmas Special, there is no selected contestant this week. The White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the O2 Community, who are invited to pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers. Please do not post your answers on the thread.

There are 12 questions - related in some way - to New Year

Q1 [words]: Where did the word "Hogmany" originate from?

Q2 [history]: When [which year] was New Year`s Day officially declared a public holiday in England?

Q3 [events]: Where, in Essex, is the annual Mad Mud Race held on 1 January? 

Q4 [geography]: Norway changed the name of its capital city to Oslo on 1 January 1925. What was its former name?

Q5 [science]: For what did Marie Curie receive her second Nobel Prize on New Year`s Day 1911?

Q6 [games]: Which board game was patented by George Durrow on New Year`s Eve 1935?

Q7 [sport]: Which American football college "bowl game" is usually played for on 1 January?

Q8 [literature]: Who was the British author, born on 1 January 1879, who wrote A Passage to India ?

Q9 [TV sit-com]: The episode "Only A Story" of TV sit-com One Foot In The Grave was first screened on New Year`s Day 1995 and featured Mrs Warboys and her budgie staying with the Meldrews. Who played the character Mrs Warboys?

Q10 [food & drink]: What were "popladys", uniquely sold on the streets on St Albans on New Year`s Day in the 1880s?

Q11 [music]: Which single by The Beatles was their first UK New Year No1?

Q12 [people]: Who wrote "Auld Lang Syne", with the opening line "Should auld acquantance be forgot"?

Rules:

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

Please send only one pm with all 12 questions and your answers to Mi-Amigo - at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] tomorrow [Thursday] and 12.00 [noon] on Friday 3 January...

- note: the period for entries has been extended to allow those who are away to take part.

Any answer posted before 00.01 on Thursday or after 12.00 noon on Friday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

Answers and Results:

The correct answers, will be posted after 13.00 [1.00pm] on Friday 3 January 2020.

Each member will be awarded a starfor each correct answer.

In addition, all members will be awarded

for 6 correct answers:                 for 10 correct answers:                              for all 12 correct answers:

silver-thinker.jpg                                golden-thinker.jpg                                        diamond-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker                              Golden Thinker                                             Diamond Thinker

Comments on the questions are welcome.

I hope those who joined or played along in the White Room Christmas Quiz, or have played along in the regular White Room Thursday Quiz [inc @Cleoriff ; @MI5 ; @pgn ; @Sy ; @Anonymous ; @Martin-O2 ; @Marjo ; @Anonymous ; @jonsie ; @gmarkj ;  @jezza1234 ; @RyanK1992 ] and new members, or those who have not taken part before, will join in with this quiz and have a go at the answers by pming me.

Please do not post your answers on the thread but comments on the questions and quiz are welcome.

I wish everyone "Good luck"

@Mi-Amigo 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Looks like I missed out on this one. slight_frown Thanks for the invite though @Mi-Amigo! I'll try to get involved in the next one. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 31 of 31