The White Room Thursday Quiz - New Year Special

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the New Year Special Edition of 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

As with the White Room Thursday Quiz Christmas Special, there is no selected contestant this week. The White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members of the O2 Community, who are invited to pm [private message] me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers. Please do not post your answers on the thread.

There are 12 questions - related in some way - to New Year

Q1 [words]: Where did the word "Hogmany" originate from?

Q2 [history]: When [which year] was New Year`s Day officially declared a public holiday in England?

Q3 [events]: Where, in Essex, is the annual Mad Mud Race held on 1 January? 

Q4 [geography]: Norway changed the name of its capital city to Oslo on 1 January 1925. What was its former name?

Q5 [science]: For what did Marie Curie receive her second Nobel Prize on New Year`s Day 1911?

Q6 [games]: Which board game was patented by George Durrow on New Year`s Eve 1935?

Q7 [sport]: Which American football college "bowl game" is usually played for on 1 January?

Q8 [literature]: Who was the British author, born on 1 January 1879, who wrote A Passage to India ?

Q9 [TV sit-com]: The episode "Only A Story" of TV sit-com One Foot In The Grave was first screened on New Year`s Day 1995 and featured Mrs Warboys and her budgie staying with the Meldrews. Who played the character Mrs Warboys?

Q10 [food & drink]: What were "popladys", uniquely sold on the streets on St Albans on New Year`s Day in the 1880s?

Q11 [music]: Which single by The Beatles was their first UK New Year No1?

Q12 [people]: Who wrote "Auld Lang Syne", with the opening line "Should auld acquantance be forgot"?

Rules:

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

Please send only one pm with all 12 questions and your answers to Mi-Amigo - at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] tomorrow [Thursday] and 12.00 [noon] on Friday 3 January...

- note: the period for entries has been extended to allow those who are away to take part.

Any answer posted before 00.01 on Thursday or after 12.00 noon on Friday will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

Answers and Results:

The correct answers, will be posted after 13.00 [1.00pm] on Friday 3 January 2020.

Each member will be awarded a starfor each correct answer.

In addition, all members will be awarded

for 6 correct answers:                 for 10 correct answers:                              for all 12 correct answers:

silver-thinker.jpg                                golden-thinker.jpg                                        diamond-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker                              Golden Thinker                                             Diamond Thinker

Comments on the questions are welcome.

I hope those who joined or played along in the White Room Christmas Quiz, or have played along in the regular White Room Thursday Quiz [inc @Cleoriff ; @MI5 ; @pgn ; @Sy ; @Anonymous ; @Martin-O2 ; @Marjo ; @Anonymous ; @jonsie ; @gmarkj ;  @jezza1234 ; @RyanK1992 ] and new members, or those who have not taken part before, will join in with this quiz and have a go at the answers by pming me.

Please do not post your answers on the thread but comments on the questions and quiz are welcome.

I wish everyone "Good luck"

@Mi-Amigo 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

A query re Question 1. Do you mean HOGMANAY? Not being picky but I know you and your Q.I. type questions. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 31

Mi-Amigo
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Mi-Amigo 

A query re Question 1. Do you mean HOGMANAY? Not being picky but I know you and your Q.I. type questions. rofl

You know me too well @Cleoriff joy . Yeh Q1 Should read Hogmanay 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 31

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I managed to take part as well and have just sent my answers over @Mi-Amigo ! slight_smile 

Message 4 of 31

Mi-Amigo
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff and @Marjo for taking part and pming me your answers.

Looking forward to seeing who else joins in and what their answers are...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 31

Mi-Amigo
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @gmarkj - jusr received the pm with your answers. Nice to know that you are joining in thumbsup

Still plenty of time for everybody to take part and pm me your answers. Good luck to you all...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 31

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Submitted but most answers were guesses!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 31

Mi-Amigo
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for joining in @MI5 . I`ve received your pm with your answers thumbsup

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 31

Mi-Amigo
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn for taking part. I`ve received your pm with your answers thumbsup 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 31

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions