Did you mean: 

The White Room Thursday Quiz - 27 February 2020

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25021 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Each week, there are EIGHT questions, from a range of categories.

Please note: the categories and questions for this week`s White Room Quiz were chosen before the

People`s Choice Quiz (which will be next week) was announced

THIS WEEK`S EIGHT QUESTIONS

Q1 [people]: Who was the first British Prime Minister?

Q2 [places]: In which Bay was the island prison of Alcatraz?

Q3 [science]: What is measured by the Mohs scale?

Q4 [literature]: What was Old Nog in Henry Williamson`s novel "Tarka the Otter" ?

Q5 [sport]: In what event did Tessa Sanderson win a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics ?

Q6 [TV]: What was the first name of Hyacinth Bucket`s son in the TV sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances"?

Q7 [art]: Which animals was George Stubbs most famous for painting?

Q8 [food and drink]: Which vegetable has varieties known as calabrese and blue wind ? 

The White Room Thursday Quiz will be open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part will need to pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 27 February 2020.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and the results for each player taking part - will be posted on Friday morning.

Each member will be awarded star for each correct answer. In addition, each member who gives

EIGHT correct answers               SIX correct answers                     FOUR correct answers

will be awarded                       will be awarded                          will be awarded

silver-thinker.jpg                 bronze-thinker-crop.jpg                        red-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER                     BRONZE THINKER                             RED THINKER

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow - on Thursday 27 February 2020.

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received before 00.01 on Thursday and/or after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

As usual, there is one QI-style question, where the answer is not what most people assume.

I have tried to make to be a balance of easier and trickier questions, and  hope those who have taken part in a previous White Room Thursday Quiz will take part, and that new members, and those who have not previously played, will join in.

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest.

I hope everyone enjoys this edition of the White Room Thursday Quiz.

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Mi-Amigo
  • 25021 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS

Q1 [people]: Who was the first British Prime Minister?

A1: This was the QI-style question. Robert Walpole is the wrong answer. He was never known as Prime Minister and the term was never applied to him, or used for him. Walpole`s title was First Lord of the Treasury. The correct answer is Sir Henry Campbell-Banner, who was referred as "Prime Minister" after a Royal Warrant was passed on 10 December 1905, which placed "Prime Minsister" after "Archbishop of Canterbury" in the order of succession to the throne. 

Q2 [places]: In which Bay was the island prison of Alcatraz?

A2: San Fransisco Bay, California

Q3 [science]: What is measured by the Mohs scale?

A3: mineral hardness

Q4 [literature]: What was Old Nog in Henry Williamson`s novel "Tarka the Otter" ?

A4: a heron

Q5 [sport]: In what event did Tessa Sanderson win a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics ?

A5: javelin

Q6 [TV]: What was the first name of Hyacinth Bucket`s son in the TV sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances"?

A6: not Onslow, who was Hyacinth`s brother-in-law. The correct answer is Sheridan,who was never seen but who Hyacinth spoke to on the phone

Q7 [art]: Which animals was George Stubbs most famous for painting?

A7: horses

Q8 [food and drink]: Which vegetable has varieties known as calabrese and blue wind ? 

A8: brocolli - part of the cabbage family

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Thought as much Spaced

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25021 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

RESULTS

[in order pm received]

@Cleoriff 

A1: pointed out not Robert Walpole, gave first name "Henry", said had double-barrel surname, gave part of it. As this was the QI-style question, in this case, I will award a half star .

A2: correct - awarded star ; A3: correct - awarded star ; A4: correct - awarded star ;

A5: correct - awarded star ; A6: correct - awarded star ; A7: correct - awarded star ;

A8: correct - awarded star = total of 7 + half star plus - for six or more correct answers - also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg 

Bronze Thinker

@Anonymous 

A1: Ramsey Macdonald - incorrect; A2: correct - awarded star ; A3 air pressure - incorrect;

A4: a pub - incorrect [I love the idea of a pub called The Old Nog slight_smile]

A5: correct - awarded star ; A6: Onslow - incorrect; A7 correct - awarded star

A8: correct - awarded star  plus for four correct answers also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@MI5 

A1: Robert Walpole - incorrect; A2: correct - awarded star ; A3: correct - awarded star ;

A4: correct - awarded star ; A5: correct - awarded star ; A6: correct - awarded star ;

A7: correct - awarded star ; A8: correct - awarded star = total of 7 star plus - for six or more correct answers - also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg 

Bronze Thinker

@Anonymous 

A1: Robert Walpole - incorrect; A2: correct - awarded star ; A3: correct - awarded star ;

A4: stoat - incorrect; A5: correct - awarded star ; A6: correct - awarded star ;

A7: whistle jacket - incorrect; A8: correct - awarded star = total of 5 star plus - for four or more correct answers - also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@jonsie 

A4: correct - awarded star ; A5: correct - awarded star ; A6: correct - awarded star ;

A7: correct - awarded star ; A8: correct - awarded star = total of 7 star plus - for six or more correct answers - also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg 

Bronze Thinker

@gmarkj 

A4: badger - incorrect; A5: correct - awarded star ; A6: Onslow - incorrect

A7: dogs - incorrect; A8: correct - awarded star = total of 4 star plus - for four correct - also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@pgn 

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg 

Bronze Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 36

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Well done everyone slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25021 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No winner this week

of the

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker + star + half star@Cleoriff 

Bronze Thinker + star                     = @MI5 ; @jonsie ; @pgn 

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker + star                           = @Anonymous 

Red Thinker                                       = @Anonymous  ; @gmarkj 

Well done. Although no Silver Thinker winner, everyone won an award. 

Thank you all for playing. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Don`t forget - next week is the White Room People`s Choice Quiz.

The categories - chosen by you - will be announced on the Advanced Notice thread on Monday.

The questions will be posted on a new - White Room People`s Choice Quiz - thread on Wednesday,

with answers pm`d to me - Mi-Amigo - on Thursday.

and thank you everyone for making this quiz so popular...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 25 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well done everyone. We all got a thinker. Bouncy

I just KNEW that Prime Minister question was the QI one. We had it in a quiz and a fight nearly broke out when we all said Robert Walpole and the quizmaster said No LOL

I think he just assumed the title? Pity was, I just couldn't remember the full name of the other official one Smiley Frustrated

I loved the Hyacinth Bucket question, I called my sister that, much to her disgust. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 36

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Well done all.

I had my doubts about Walpole, but thought the trick was to do with the 1707 Act of Union, where 3 countries became The United Kingdom of Great Britain... English vs British in the Q.

Good quiz, as ever, @Mi-Amigo 👍
Message 27 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought Q7 was a typo.. 'which animal's' was' .. shouldn't that be 'which animals were'

If the question was Which animal was GS most famous for painting.. that animal was called 'Whistlejacket' hence my answer.

Happy with 5 tho!

Message 28 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25021 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 , @Cleoriff , and @pgn for your kind comments.

I`m glad you enjoyed this week`s quiz.

It is often - but not always - the history/politics questions which throw a spanner in the works.

I`ll try and come up with a QI-style question in other categories [but obviously won`t say which] in future White Room Quizzes... including next week`s People`s Choice Thinking LOL

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 29 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

My sister and a close friend in Spain both had a massive picture of Whistlejacket @Anonymous 

Beautiful painting.

whistlejacket.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 36