Did you mean: 

The White Room Thursday Quiz - 27 February 2020

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25116 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Each week, there are EIGHT questions, from a range of categories.

Please note: the categories and questions for this week`s White Room Quiz were chosen before the

People`s Choice Quiz (which will be next week) was announced

THIS WEEK`S EIGHT QUESTIONS

Q1 [people]: Who was the first British Prime Minister?

Q2 [places]: In which Bay was the island prison of Alcatraz?

Q3 [science]: What is measured by the Mohs scale?

Q4 [literature]: What was Old Nog in Henry Williamson`s novel "Tarka the Otter" ?

Q5 [sport]: In what event did Tessa Sanderson win a gold medal at the 1984 Olympics ?

Q6 [TV]: What was the first name of Hyacinth Bucket`s son in the TV sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances"?

Q7 [art]: Which animals was George Stubbs most famous for painting?

Q8 [food and drink]: Which vegetable has varieties known as calabrese and blue wind ? 

The White Room Thursday Quiz will be open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part will need to pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 27 February 2020.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and the results for each player taking part - will be posted on Friday morning.

Each member will be awarded star for each correct answer. In addition, each member who gives

EIGHT correct answers               SIX correct answers                     FOUR correct answers

will be awarded                       will be awarded                          will be awarded

silver-thinker.jpg                 bronze-thinker-crop.jpg                        red-thinker.jpg

SILVER THINKER                     BRONZE THINKER                             RED THINKER

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow - on Thursday 27 February 2020.

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received before 00.01 on Thursday and/or after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

As usual, there is one QI-style question, where the answer is not what most people assume.

I have tried to make to be a balance of easier and trickier questions, and  hope those who have taken part in a previous White Room Thursday Quiz will take part, and that new members, and those who have not previously played, will join in.

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest.

I hope everyone enjoys this edition of the White Room Thursday Quiz.

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Mi-Amigo
  • 25116 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought Q7 was a typo.. 'which animal's' was' .. shouldn't that be 'which animals were'

If the question was Which animal was GS most famous for painting.. that animal was called 'Whistlejacket' hence my answer.

Happy with 5 tho!

A very good point @Anonymous 

As Whistlejacket [the answer you gave] was a horse in a famous painting by Stubbs and the question could be read as you did, I`m going to be fair and award you a star for that answer. As this means you have a total of six star, then you are also awarded, instead of Red Thinker, 

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 31 of 36

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35744 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1578 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought Q7 was a typo.. 'which animal's' was' .. shouldn't that be 'which animals were'

If the question was Which animal was GS most famous for painting.. that animal was called 'Whistlejacket' hence my answer.

Happy with 5 tho!

A very good point @Anonymous As this means you have a total of six star, then you are also awarded, instead of Red Thinker, 

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

Yaay, welcome to the club, @Anonymous  👍🤣

Message 32 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

A very illustrious club to be in! And thank you for the reconsideration @Mi-Amigo

Message 33 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 34 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really enjoyed the quiz @Mi-Amigo & thank you as always for compiling it

Well done all

There is a Red Thinker Club wink @gmarkj & me smiling hope I've not offended anyone 

Message 35 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25116 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Really enjoyed the quiz @Mi-Amigo & thank you as always for compiling it

Well done all

There is a Red Thinker Club wink @gmarkj & me smiling hope I've not offended anyone 

Thank you @Anonymous 

and you and @gmarkj and others have beaten Paul "The Sinnerman" Sinha of The Chase [see here]

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 36 of 36