Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT, is

@pgn   

The six questions are:

Q1 [people]: Who was the mother of Edward VI, king of England?

Q2 [history]: What colour was the first Model T Ford motor car?

Q3 [geography]: Where is the Albert canal?

Q4 [numbers]: What number did the Roman letter Z represent in medieaval times?

Q5 [literature]: Who sang "Soup of the evening, beautiful soup" in Lewis Carroll`s Alice in Wonderland?

Q6 [Olympics]: What events did Ireland win its first official Olympic medals in? 

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and answer.

You can post one, or more, answer at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 19 September 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted on Friday 20 September 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @pgn 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@AnnieM wrote:

Well done @pgn 

I got Jane Seymour, the Mock Turtle and the Ford colour (which did come only in black after a few years of production. They couldn't keep up with demand and black was the quickest drying colour, so other colours were dropped for several years).

As for the other questions, I had no ideas whatsoever!

@AnnieM 

Well done for getting three correct. You are spot-on about the Model T Ford and the quick drying paint to keep up demand. The supposed quote came some time later.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 31 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I had a black Ford Popular, sit up and beg type. That only came in gray normally and the black was a rare beast. Wish I'd kept hold of it.

Message 32 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I had a black Ford Popular, sit up and beg type. That only came in gray normally and the black was a rare beast. Wish I'd kept hold of it.

Rare indeed @jonsie . Be worth a couple of quid now...

You`ve brought back childhood memories of the late 50s when my dad had a Ford Popular [I think that`s what it was] in beige... 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 36

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Beige would have been rare too, never saw one myself. I was a mechanic straight from school and worked on loads of them, such a simple side valve engine which could be overhauled in about five hours with new rings and a decoke.

Message 34 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

TBH I wasn't sure (before the results were posted) whether the Ford car or the Olympics was the Q1 question.

Many people remember  Ford saying 'They can have any colour as long as it's black'.

As for the Olympics, who knew that art and poetry were ever a category? Pffftttt. rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@WispaRed7 wrote:

I got nil again

I had thought the 1st Model T Ford car would have been black

@pgn wrote:

Fiendishly difficult, @WispaRed7 - and QI questions, well, I could almost hear the klaxon... LOL

@Anonymous 

Sorry you didn`t do so well this week but as @pgn said some of the questions were "fiendishly difficult".

As the subjects vary from week to week, maybe you`ll fair better this week, with the questions chosen from - People; Music; Words; Games; Geography; and Science.

I hope you, and others, will play along and let us know how you did after the results are given.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 36 of 36