• 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT   is

@Sy 

The six questions are:

Q1 [history]: Which is the oldest university in Scotland?

Q2 [science]: Which two metals are used to make brass?

Q3 [nature]: How many wings does a mosquito have? 

Q4 [words]: What is dendrology the study of?

Q5 [music]: Which song famously kept Vienna by Ultravox off the No 1 in the UK charts in 1981?

Q6 [food & drink]: Which French dish has a name which literally means "pot on fire"?

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several posts [as @pgn did previously]; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 14 November 2019. Please note: a second answer to any question cannot be given in these subsequent posts. 

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 14 November [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 15 November 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

The White Room Thursday Quiz is open to all members.

Previously, contestants - inc @Cleoriff , @pgn , @gmarkj , @jezza1234 , @AnnieM - and other members - inc @EmilieT , @Anonymous , @TallTrees - have played along by  making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right.

Everyone is invited to play along with this week`s quiz - but, please do not post your answers on the thread. You will be able to see how well you did when I give the correct answers/

Thank you for your interest and good luck @Sy 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Good luck with those @Sy - I might get 1 if I am lucky!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 22

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo Now there's one question I definitely know the answer to for once! smiley

Good luck @Sy, a very interesting set of questions you got there nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Oh that's 'quite' nice Fear. Best of luck @Sy Bow

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 22

Sy
Level 3: Thinker
  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I suppose I best get my thinking cap on grin

Cheers all!
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
3/6 for definite
Message 6 of 22

Sy
  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I don't know a lot about Scotland history, but as stab in the dark St Andrews? As I've atleast heard of that, and I'd imagine it would be fairly early on that you'd name somthing after a saint.

Zinc and Copper.

2. I've squashed enough this year to know.

Something to do with trees I think if I remember rightly from all the nature programmes on TV.

Q5 [music]: Which song famously kept Vienna by Ultravox off the No 1 in the UK charts in 1981?

I don't have a clue about any of this even after I was born let alone before.

Q6 [food & drink]: Which French dish has a name which literally means "pot on fire"?

Pot means pot in French I think, so Pot au Feu I would guess. That's some sort of stew I think.
Message 7 of 22

Sy
  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Oh I forgot about the QI question, well I hope that's the 5th one lol, else I messed up somewhere haha
Message 8 of 22

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25015 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As @Sy has submitted his answers early today [thank you], I can reveal the results.

@Sy gave these answers:

A1: I don't know a lot about Scotland history, but as stab in the dark St Andrews? As I've atleast heard of that, and I'd imagine it would be fairly early on that you'd name somthing after a saint.

- correct = awarded star

A2: Zinc and Copper.

- correct = awarded star

Q3: 2. I've squashed enough this year to know.

- correct = awarded star

A4: Something to do with trees I think if I remember rightly from all the nature programmes on TV.

- correct = awarded star

A5: I don't have a clue about any of this even after I was born let alone before.

- not the QI-style question. The correct answer is Shaddap You Face by Joe Dolce.

A6: Pot means pot in French I think, so Pot au Feu I would guess. That's some sort of stew I think.

- correct = awarded star This was the QI-style question - as some assume, because it`s French, that it`s Coq-au-van

@Sy got five questions correct and is awarded star star star star star - just missing out on being awarded the Silver Thinker - well done Bow

How did those who said they were playing along - @Cleoriff , @EmilieT , @gmarkj , @Anonymous - do? and did those who usually play along - @pgn , @Anonymous , @TallTrees - also play along? How many of the six questions, which you thought you knew the answer to did you get right?

Feedback and comments is welcome.

Thank you everyone for your interest and to @Sy for being this week`s contestant. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 22

Sy
  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Oh that's mad! I thought I was on for 3 correct, it was only 2&3 I was certain on.

Q5 I'd never get right in a 1000 years, so only one question away but not a chance at the same time lol

Cheers @mi-amigo

Message 10 of 22