The White Room Thursday Quiz - 07 November 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to 

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Every week, one contestant faces six questions. The six questions are chosen from these categories - 

People [inc Presidents, Prime Ministers]; History [inc wars, inventions, discoveries]; Geography [inc places, statues, monuments, capitals]; Events [inc festivals, anniversaries, celebrations]; Science [inc chemistry, physics, biology, measurements, numbers]; Nature [inc animals, plants]; Space [inc astronomy, planets, the universe, solar system, exploration]; Sport [inc Olympics]; Games [inc indoor, board, card]; Words [inc definitions]; Literature [inc books, authors, characters, quotes]; Music [inc bands, songs, classical, instruments]; TV sitcoms [inc characters, actors, locations]; Food & Drink. 

This week`s contestant chosen by @EmilieT   is

@Cleoriff 

The six questions are:

Q1 [people]: Who was British Prime Minister when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon?

Q2 [literature]: Which was the first Agatha Christie novel to feature Hercule Poirot?

Q3 [sport]: Which throwing events are in a decathlon? 

Q4 [events]: What, according to traditional, is the gift for the sixth wedding aniversary?

Q5 [games]: What was the original name of the game of table tennis?

Q6 [geography]: Which is the northernmost capital city in the world?

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several posts [as @pgn did previously]; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 7 November 2019. Please note: a second answer to any question cannot be given in these subsequent posts. 

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 7 November [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 8 November 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @Cleoriff

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Good luck @Cleoriff.
Could have an educated guess at 2 or 3 but the rest are beyond my knowledge.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Mmmm..I can see one of those is a QI type question. (In my opinion) Or maybe it's my head being a bit fuzzy with this flu rofl (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) tongue_winking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 17

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10659 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Good Luck @Cleoriff 

from TallTrees Cry

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Good Luck @Cleoriff 

from TallTrees Cry

Thanks @TallTrees nerdupside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Right here we go then....Fear

Q1 [people]: Who was British Prime Minister when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon?

A: Harold Wilson

Q2 [literature]: Which was the first Agatha Christie novel to feature Hercule Poirot?

A: My other half has the box set of Poirot somewhere! Anyway I think it's something about The Mystery Affair at Styles

A:  Discus, Javelin and Shot put

Q4 [events]: What, according to traditional, is the gift for the sixth wedding anniversary?

I hope you meant in the UK? Struggled with this as thought it was wood then remembered that was 5th.

A: I think it's something stupid like Sugar or sweets?

A: Ping Pong

A: Reykjavik in Iceland.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 17

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff I only had a few of those guesses, can't wait to see the results! nerd fingers_crossed

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT 

I have to go for some blood tests at 11.15 so I hope @Mi-Amigo  puts up the answers as soon a he can upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25016 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As @Cleoriff has given her answers early [thank you] and has to go for a blood test [good luck], I can give the results:

A: Harold Wilson

- correct = awarded star

A: My other half has the box set of Poirot somewhere! Anyway I think it's something about The Mystery Affair at Styles

- correct = awarded star

A:  Discus, Javelin and Shot put

- correct = awarded star

Q4 [events]: What, according to traditional, is the gift for the sixth wedding anniversary?

I hope you meant in the UK? Struggled with this as thought it was wood then remembered that was 5th.

A: I think it's something stupid like Sugar or sweets?

- sugar is the correct answer [this wasn`t the QI queston but was tricky] = awarded star

A: Ping Pong

- incorrect = this is the QI-style question. The correct answer is gossamer [trade name Gossima] by a London sports good manufaturer in the 1880s. It was not until 1900 that the term "ping pong" was used, the Ping Pong Association was formed in 1902, and continued to be used until 1926, when the International Table Tennis Association was formed, and the World Table Tennis Championship was held in 1927.   

A: Reykjavik in Iceland.

- correct = awarded star

You got five questions correct and are awarded star star star star star - just missing out on the Silver Thinker - well done @Cleoriff 

How did those who were playing along get on with these questions? Your feedback and comments are welcome, and hopefully some of those who have not yet put their name forward will consider being a contestant and see if they can get six questions correct in a future quiz and be awarded the Silver Thinker. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 9 of 17

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo I had never heard "Gossamer" before, once again learning something new!

Well done @Cleoriff slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 17