The White Room Seasonal Quiz 2 - Born On Xmas Day

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to 

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Today`s Quiz is the White Room Seasonal Quiz 2 - Born On Xmas Day

[part of 🎅🏻 🎄 Christmas On The Community] 

Instead of the usual eight questions, there are 10 questions - with one question from each of these categories

HISTORY   SCIENCE   PLACES   MOVIES   LITERATURE   TV   MUSIC   SPORT   SPACE   PEOPLE

with each question based on a person who was born on Christmas Day

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Wednesday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Thursday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff   @pgn   @jonsie   @MI5   @gmarkj   @Anonymous   @LukasB   @Martin-O2   @Marjo 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TEN QUESTIONS

There is no question is a QI-style question, in which the answer is not what most people think.

Q1 Born on Xmas Day 1584 [history] - Margaret of Austria.

Which King of Spain did she marry in 1599?

Q2 Born on Xmas Day 1642 [science] - Isaac Newton, famous for work on gravity, laws of motion

In which English county was he born?

Q3 Born on Xmas Day 1887 [places] - Conrad Hilton, founder of Hilton Hotels.

Bought his first hotel, Mobley Hotel in Texas, in 1919; but where [city and state] was the first hotel

to be named a Hilton Hotel, opened in 1925. 

Q4 Born on Xmas Day 1899 [movies] - Humphrey Bogart, actor.

Which character did he play in the 1941 movie "The Maltese Falcon"?

Q5 Born on Xmas Day 1908 [literature] - Quentin Crisp, author

What was the title of his famous book of the first half of his life published in 1968?

Q6 Born on Xmas Day 1944 [TV] - Kenny Everett. dj and television personality.

What was his birth name, which he changed in 1966 to Kenny Everett?

Q7 Born on Xmas Day 1954 [music] - Annie Lennox, singer, formed Eurythmics with Dave Stewart.

What was the title of the Eurythmics UK single which reached No 2 in UK charts in 1983?

Q8 Born on Xmas Day 1957 [sport] - Chris Kamara. footballer and football manager.

Which football team did he manage from 1995 to 1998?         

Q9 Born on Xmas Day 1959 [space] - Michael P Anderson, US astronaut

He was a member of the crew of which US Space Shuttle to Mir space station in January 1998?

Q10 Born on Xmas Day 1971 [people] - Justin Trudeau, politician.

Became 23rd Prime Minister of which country in 2005?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Wed 23 Dec] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday 24 Dec]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Fri 25 December

- Christmas morning.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Wed 23 December 2020] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thurs 24 December 2020].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 24 December will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" and take part in this quiz

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers       answers       answers      answers 

golden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg     bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Golden          Silver          Bronze              Red

Thinker        Thinker       Thinker           Thinker 

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 Born on Xmas Day 1584 [history] - Margaret of Austria.

Which King of Spain did she marry in 1599?

A1  Phillip III

Q2 Born on Xmas Day 1642 [science] - Isaac Newton, famous for work on gravity, laws of motion

In which English county was he born?

A2  Lincolnshire

Q3 Born on Xmas Day 1887 [places] - Conrad Hilton, founder of Hilton Hotels.

Bought his first hotel, Mobley Hotel in Texas, in 1919; but where [city and state] was the first hotel

to be named a Hilton Hotel, opened in 1925. 

A3 Dallas, Texas

Q4 Born on Xmas Day 1899 [movies] - Humphrey Bogart, actor.

Which character did he play in the 1941 movie "The Maltese Falcon"?

A4 Sam Spade

Q5 Born on Xmas Day 1908 [literature] - Quentin Crisp, author

What was the title of his famous book of the first half of his life published in 1968?

A5 The Naked Civil Servant

Q6 Born on Xmas Day 1944 [TV] - Kenny Everett. dj and television personality.

What was his birth name, which he changed in 1966 to Kenny Everett?

A6 Maurice Cole

Q7 Born on Xmas Day 1954 [music] - Annie Lennox, singer, formed Eurythmics with Dave Stewart.

What was the title of the Eurythmics UK single which reached No 2 in UK charts in 1983?

A7 Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

Q8 Born on Xmas Day 1957 [sport] - Chris Kamara. footballer and football manager.

Which football team did he manage from 1995 to 1998?         

A8 Bradford City

Q9 Born on Xmas Day 1959 [space] - Michael P Anderson, US astronaut

He was a member of the crew of which US Space Shuttle to Mir space station in January 1998?

A9 STS-89 Endeavour

Q10 Born on Xmas Day 1971 [people] - Justin Trudeau, politician.

Became 23rd Prime Minister of which country in 2005?

A10 Canada

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 31 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS:

@Marjo 

Q1 8th monarch. On checking, there were eight monarchs of Spain from Isabella I to Phillip III, so I will be generous and award half  star

Q2 Warwickshire - incorrect           Q3 correct - awarded  star        Q4 Tommy - incorrect     

Q5 My Teenage Years - incorrect   Q6 Henry - incorrect   Q7 pass   Q8 Man Utd - incorrect   

Q9 pass                                            Q10 France - incorrect

Total: one star + half  starfor one correct answer + one part correct answer

@Cleoriff 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3   correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6   correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

Q10 correct - awarded star  plus, for 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@MI5 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3   correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6   correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@jonsie 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3  correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star   Q6 correct - awarded star

Q7  Love Is A Stranger. rereleased in 1983, reached No 6 in UK Chart. As charted in same year, following Sweet Dreams, I`ll be generous and award star

Q8  correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star Q10 correct - awarded star 

plus, for more than eight correct answers also awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

@LukasB 

Q1 Phillip. As no reginal number, I`ll award half  star  Q2 pass

Q3 Texas. As state is correct, but no city, I`ll award half  star 

Q4 pass   Q5 pass   Q6 pass   Q7 pass   Q8 pass   Q9 pass 

Q10 correct - awarded  star 

Total: one star + two half  starfor one correct answer + two part correct answer

@pgn 

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@gmarkj 

Q1 pass   Q2 correct - awarded  star  Q3  correct - awarded star  Q4 correct - awarded star   

Q5 correct - awarded star Q6 correct - awarded star 

Q7 Never Gonna Cry Again. released May 1981, charted No 63 in UK Chart July 1981. As it wasn`t re-released, or charted in 1983 [year Sweet Dreams reached No 2], sorry I can`t award a star

Q8 correct - awarded star Q9 pass   Q10 correct - awarded star 

plus, for more than six correct also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

@Anonymous 

Q1 pass   Q2 Hampshire - incorrect  Q3 Los Angeles, California - incorrect   Q4 pass

Q5 pass   Q6 Joe Bloggs - incorrect  Q7 correct - awarded star 

Q8 Spurs - incorrect   Q9 correct - awarded star Q10 correct - awarded star  

Total: three  star for three correct answers

@Martin-O2 

Q1 pass   Q2 Cambridgeshire - incorrect   Q3 New York City, New York - incorrect

Q4 pass   Q5 pass   Q6 pass  Q7 pass  Q8 Luton - incorrect 

Q9 Columbia - incorrect  Q10 correct - awarded star 

Total: one  starfor one correct answer

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 32 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE AWARDS:

golden-thinker.jpg 

Gold Thinker                       = 10 correct answers - @Cleoriff  @MI5  @pgn  

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker  +  star  + half star  = 9 correct answers + one part correct - @jonsie   

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker + star                     = 7 correct answers - @gmarkj   

star star star                                   = 3 correct answers - @Anonymous 

star+ two half star                         = 1 correct answer + 2 part-correct - @LukasB 

star+ one half star                         = 1 correct answer + 1 part-correct - @Marjo 

star                                                  = 1 correct answer - @Martin-O2   

CONGRATULATIONS to the GOLD THINKERS - @Cleoriff   @MI5   @pgn 

Well done

@jonsie           - Silver Thinker + star + half star

@gmarkj         - Bronze Thinker + star 

@WispaRed7  - star star star  

@LukasB         - star + two half star

@Marjo           - star + one half star

@Martin-O2    - star

Everyone who took part got at least one star    

I hope everyone enjoyed this Seasonal edition of the White Room Quiz and will take part in Monday`s White Room Quiz, which will be a "normal" edition with two questions from each of these categories

PEOPLE   PLACES   NATURE   FOOD & DRINK

There will be a very special White Room Quiz on Wednesday 30 Dec 2020, with the End Of The Year Quiz

with 15 questions and a very special surprise.

Thank you everyone for taking part in the WRQ.

And I wish every STstarRMstarN and STstarRWOMstarN White Room Quizzer

merry-xmas-crop.jpg

@Mi-Amigo 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 33 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @Mi-Amigo 

A great quiz. Happy Christmas and Happy Birthday heart

Thanks for all the hard work you have put in to these quizzes all year. Boggled our brain calls, Find words we have never heard of and generally provide some fun and light relief in a year which has been anything but normal. Thanks so much. Bowheart

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for such a lovely message @Cleoriff .

It has been a pleasure to run the White Room Quiz and I admit I do have fun coming up, finding, or searching for the questions. But for me what is more important is that each and everyone of those who takes part enjoys the quiz and has fun and finds it helps in some small way to escape what is happening around us during these times.

As long as people enjoy and take part, then I`ll continue with the White Room Quiz.

I hope everyone will like the End Of The Year Quiz - with a very special surprise - on Wednesday.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 35 of 41

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Thank you @Mi-Amigo for all the brilliant quizzes that have kept us occupied during this truly awful year that began so well but ended with dire consequences

The one constant has been the biweekly brain fodder, long may you find good health to set the quizes for everyone yahoo

Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year pray

Message 36 of 41

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Happy Christmas everyone slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 41

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @jonsie 

Researching and finding the questions and running the two WRQ each week keeps my mind active.

I wish you a Merry Xmas and hope the New Year is a much better one for you and everyone.

Thank you @MI5 and Happy Xmas to you, too.

I should at this point also ask all those who taken part in the WRQ this past year to thank @Cleoriff who twice organised and ran a White Room Quiz, which gave me the chance to participate and attempt to tackle the questions and showed me how difficult some of these can be.

As the saying goes, "the questions are only easy if you know the answer".    

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 38 of 41

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Yes indeed, thanks too to @Cleoriff thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 39 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Yes indeed, thanks too to @Cleoriff thumbsup

Yeah. Never again @Mi-Amigo @MI5 rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 41