The White Room Quiz - Golden Thinker Challenge

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome everyone to a very special edition of the

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

Rather than a contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT , the two contestants - @Cleoriff and @pgn - who have both won the SILVER THINKER AWARD will face the GOLDEN THINKER CHALLENGE.

Each of them will attempt to answer the same TEN questions.

The TEN QUESTIONS

Q1 [history]: Which of his six wives was Henry VIII married to the longest?

Q2 [people]: Who invented the pneumatic tyre?

Q3 [geography}: In which state or territory in Australia is Ayres Rock [more correctly called Uluru]?

Q4 [literature]: Which Shakespeare play features the line "All that glisters is not gold"?

Q5 [sport - Olympics]: Which event, introduced and only held at the 1908 Olympics, had only competitors from one country and the singles final was never contested?

Q6 [nature]: Where was the first menagerie in England introduced?

Q7 [science]: What does a venturi meter measure?

Q8 [music - not The Beatles]: Who were Woglinde, Wellgunde, and Flosshinde?

Q9 [TV sitcoms]: What were the first names of the original two girl characters in the Carla Lane TV sit-com The Liver Birds first screened in 1969?

Q10 [space]: What was the name of the lunar module [LM] which acted as a lifecraft for the crew of Apollo13 and brought them back to Earth in 1969? 

Rules:

You must pm the ten answers to me [MI-Amigo] and not post them on the thread.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several post; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 24 Oct 2019.

You may only give one answer to any questions. Please note: a second answer to any question cannot be given in these subsequent posts. 

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 24 October [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 25 October 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all TEN questions correct, you will be awarded the GOLDEN THINKER

gold-thinker-crop3.jpg

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you and good luck - @Cleoriff and @pgn 

You may, if you wish, post your reactions to the questions, but please do not post any answers.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I only see 5 questions?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I only see 5 questions?

An error. The post button was clicked before remainder of questions and rules completed

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thank you @Mi-Amigo 

May I just say that my brain is as foggy as it is outside this morning? LOL

(That's my excuse right there) Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I need to ask a general question @Mi-Amigo . As it's for the benefit of us both I will post it openly.

Each question has only one answer, so if the CORRECT answer is given without additional 'bumfluff' information such as... it was blah blah person (without a date, who his mother was, where they came from and who clipped their toenails etc etc etc.) the answer will be deemed correct? 

I need to know this, as in the past you have been known to award half a star on occasion for additional info given.

As an example, you have asked who invented the pneumatic tyre. There is one answer to that. You haven't asked for the date or where it was invented. I need to make sure that additional info isn't required to garner more points.

Just checking the rule of engagement...roflcool

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I need to ask a general question @Mi-Amigo . As it's for the benefit of us both I will post it openly.

Each question has only one answer, so if the CORRECT answer is given without additional 'bumfluff' information such as... it was blah blah person (without a date, who his mother was, where they came from and who clipped their toenails etc etc etc.) the answer will be deemed correct? 

I need to know this, as in the past you have been known to award half a star on occasion for additional info given.

As as example, you have asked who invented the pneumatic tyre. There is one answer to that. You haven't asked for the date or where it was invented. I need to make sure that additional info isn't required to garner more points.

Just checking the rule of engagement...roflcool

@Cleoriff 

No problem with asking questions to clarify a particular point.

Although, in the past, half a star has been awarded for additional information, for this quiz, all that is wanted is one answer to each question - without the additional information.

In the example of who invented the pneumatic tyre I am looking for the name of the person, so when, and where will not "gander more points".

Having said that, and as others might be interested, I will provide a little extra information to each of the answers but this will not affect or alter the overall score.

All you and @pgn need do is give the right answer to the ten questions to be awarded the Golden Thinker.

If you or @pgn have any other questions, please feel free to ask and I will give an answer. 

Good luck to you both...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for that @Mi-Amigo thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 36

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Good Luck from TallTrees

to you both 

@pgn  and   @Cleoriff 

Fantastic

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @TallTrees . I'm going to need it....rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25020 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh and a little help [?] @Cleoriff and @pgn , at least two of the questions are QI-style - the answers are not what most people assume...

Be interesting to see what the"regulars"

@jonsie ; @EmilieT ; @AnnieM ; @gmarkj ; @jezza1234 ; @Anonymous - who have played along with some of the previous White Room Thursday Quiz, make of the questions and how they fair when it comes to the results...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 10 of 36