iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 4 of 11,701
11,700 REPLIES 11,700

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

This article opened my eyes to what, if people are not paying attention, can happen:

The Irish Government's move to block the expansion of the Russian Embassy on Dublin's Orwell Road in 2020 has come into sharp focus with the outbreak of war in Ukraine.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/0310/1285699-russian-embassy-orwell-road-irish-government/

Message 10771 of 11,701

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I should think planning for it's extension was damn well blocked!!

Why did an embassy representing just a few thousand citizens want a building of that size, with an underground network of rooms on a site with plenty of space to build up?

Also I note that there are only 4 Irish diplomats in Russia, whilst Orwell road houses more than 30 Russian 'Diplomats'.

Expel the lot of them, I say!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10772 of 11,701

pgn
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Maybe they wanted accommodation for their national airline's, Aeroflot's, crews to overnight safely on transits from Russia to USA or South America via Dublin.

Or place to keep their State Ballet troupe from being tempted by the wiles of the West...

Their Ambassador was very adept at not answering probing questions recently...

Message 10773 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Mmmmmm. No. I don't think so! Soundproofed bunkers I expect. Probably somewhere their scientists can make nice batches of the nerve gas Novichok to spread around Britain after a nice trip on the ferry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10774 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

More and more atrocities shown in Ukraine with private dwellings being bombed killing people and children. Russia say these people are actors!!

We also saw an incredible act of bravery. On the Russian propaganda news Channel yesterday, a female TV editor stood behind the news reader and held up a placard stating 'Stop the War in Ukraine. Don't Believe the Propaganda. They can't put us all in Prison'. She was hustled off by security. (Probably never to be seen again)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10612393/TV-editor-runs-Russian-state-TV-sign-saying-Stop-w... 

Russia are currently asking China for help with more missiles. We wait with bated breath.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10775 of 11,701

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4401 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We've all seen the horrors of war, from WW1, WW2, wars in between and many wars since.  Here we are in 2022 and nothing has changed.  We're now witnessing a war in Europe which is not too far away from us, only 2 hours by plane.  I get quite upset watching the news because I've been to these places.   I've stayed in Kiev (Kyiv), I feel I know it quite well.   While there, I did a bit of sight seeing including visiting Babi Yar, the ravine in Kyiv where at least 34,000 Jews were massacred during the war.   I have pictures taken in Independence Square.  Tremendous architecture everywhere.   I had a 20 hour train journey South to Simferopol in Crimea where I stayed.   I lay on the beach and swam in the Black Sea at Yalta.   I stayed in Sevastopol which is steeped in history.   At that time (pre 2014) the Russian Black Sea fleet was lying abandoned and redundant but that same fleet is now back in use I expect.  It was the scene of the Crimean War from the 1850's.   The 'charge of the light brigade', - 'into the valley of death rode the 600', - 'the battle of Balaclava', - Florence Nightingale are all things we hear about or read about but to be in these places I found very special.   I also stayed in Odessa and climbed up and down the Potemkin Stairs a few times.   Another fascinating place.   From there it was on to Kviv which again is in the news just now, before returning to Kyiv again.

I've been fairly fortunate in my life and visited quite a few corners of the world, but one place has always stuck in my mind, - Ukraine was special.   

Apologies if all this is boring, but as I already said I'm very upset by it all and feel better writing it down.

Thanks for reading.

Message 10776 of 11,701

pgn
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Nicely said, @BobM - the futility of it all, though, is so... Meh.

Message 10777 of 11,701

BobM
  • 4401 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Nicely said, @BobM - the futility of it all, though, is so... Meh.

Cheers @pgn  - agree with you entirely, and sadly nothing will change any time soon.

Message 10778 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thanks for posting that @BobM.

I haven't been to the Ukraine but the horror of this war is frightening. The fact it can happen in 2022 due to the megalomania of one man is appalling. As @pgn  said it's so futile.😢

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10779 of 11,701

BobM
  • 4401 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for posting that @BobM.

I haven't been to the Ukraine but the horror of this war is frightening. The fact it can happen in 2022 due to the megalomania of one man is appalling. As @pgn  said it's so futile.😢

As I said @Cleoriff I found the whole experience fascinating.   I met so many lovely normal people if that makes sense.   In the cities people were very Westernised and you could have been in any UK city or town, whereas out in the countryside and in villages they were more what I would call the traditional Russian who appeared to live quite a simple life.   Probably the older generation who lived under Russian rules all their lives and not looking to change.  It's not the sort of place that could be classed as a holiday destination, but I had the oportunity to go and I'm so glad now I visited.   I have so many good memories.

Message 10780 of 11,701