• 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Cairdeas wrote:

I didn't watch SPOTY @Cleoriff.. But very valid points you make. Shame on them x

Not that I'm biased or anything like that @Cairdeas LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3122 of 11,701

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm confused as to why one victory in a year, the same year as a 'of the year competition, is any less valid than someone who has only won one championship in that year?

Message 3123 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm confused as to why one victory in a year, the same year as a 'of the year competition, is any less valid than someone who has only won one championship in that year?

I know we will disagree on this one @Anonymous but LH won 11 races that year. A first for F1. (Achieved over March to November a total of 21 races). As well as winning he was on the podium for 2nd and 3rd places

He also won a World Championship to add to that. He broke more records than anyone for the speed of his pole positions and his driving ability in all conditions. He was supreme and unbeatable.

Geraint won 1 race. The TDF. I know it's gruelling but in my opinion doesn't match the achievement of LH.

Before anyone says a F1 race is 2 hrs, that isn't all there is to it. A race weekend is held over 3 days. The rest of the time between racing is spent training and working in simulations for the next race. Also flying to different corners of the world to race.  Last season we had 3 back to back races. ie only a week between them. Imagine the logistics of that. Finish in Singapore on Sunday. In Germany the next Thursday ready to start all over again.

There is a skill in driving an F1 car for 60-71 laps at speeds in excess of 200mph. Keeping ahead and fighting off all the competition.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3124 of 11,701

Anonymous
Not applicable

No disagreement about amazing feats achieved by LH, but both won an event in the same year and I'm just unsure as to why someone who won over 10 months is more deserving than someone who won in 21 days.

They both had to work their balls off to stay ahead of the pack.. surely both as deserving? 

Message 3125 of 11,701

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Cairdeas wrote:

I didn't watch SPOTY @Cleoriff.. But very valid points you make. Shame on them x

Not that I'm biased or anything like that @Cairdeas LOL

Nah of course not @Cleoriff 😂x

giphy-3
Message 3126 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

No disagreement about amazing feats achieved by LH, but both won an event in the same year and I'm just unsure as to why someone who won over 10 months is more deserving than someone who won in 21 days.

They both had to work their balls off to stay ahead of the pack.. surely both as deserving? 

I cant disagree with the effort required by Geraint to win that race @Anonymous (particularly as I NOW understand the race wan't geared for him to win, I think Sky expected one of the others to do it)

However, 10 months is a long time to stay at the top in F1 where accidents and weather plays a great part in finishing positions. Lewis is accredited with being the 'rainmaster' and can drive supremely and win when others are spinning all over the place. He also won 11 races not just one.

I know this is over a year, and is a British competition, but at time of the award ceremony LH (this year) became the best British F1 driver ever in the history of the sport. In fact apart from Schumacher, he is the closest to achieving 'world domination'

I'm also convinced that had the BBC not handed over the reins of F1 to Sky and Channel 4, F1 would have been more in the public eye.

Lets face it LH won Spoty in 2014. BBC gave up F1 in 2015.

The BBC shows no motorsport whatsoever nowadays. x

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3127 of 11,701

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I would have given it to jose for single-handedly dismantling ManU over 3 years....now thats outstanding!!

Message 3128 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I would have given it to jose for single-handedly dismantling ManU over 3 years....now thats outstanding!!

Well he certainly wasn't in the running for coach of the year @jonsie !!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3129 of 11,701

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie

I see your team are doing well under their new manager? I bet you are delighted!

3-1 up so far?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3130 of 11,701