Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rain In Spain

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Spain, the costas Blanca on Thurs and del Sol last night, have been taking a pounding:

Alicante, Orihuela, Murcia, now Málaga.... 

Many thousands of cars, businesses and houses damaged by heavy rains since Tues/Weds. 

Videos from the A7 show hundreds of cars all piled up on each other, lots of mobile phone coverage on social media, Twitter, probably FB too. 

Horrified

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yes I watched this on TV last night @pgn  (Particular interest in Malaga of course)

My friend who lives in Benalmadena has been tagging me in photos and videos he uploads to FB.

Never seen this in September in all the 38 years we had our apartment.

Twice happened in January and February when I was there and it was shocking. The manhole covers were lifting as it's very hilly and they couldn't cope with the rain pouring down off the mountains

Lorries and cars travelling on the coastal road were being swept out to sea. Beaches destroyed, animals lost and cars piling up the same as shown in your video. As I say though, unheard of in September...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

pgn
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Devastating, especially at this time of year.

We saw a bit of flooding, the manhole covers, last year, just north of Benidorm in August - but just part of one day, all gone the next morning.

And then Ryanair's computer systems all went offline this morning for a while, going to ruin many people's short break or their return home after a few days of anticipated late summer sunshine... 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9920330/spain-flash-floods-majorca-tornado-deaths/

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/ryanair-major-systems-failure-leaves-16918794

Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

According to the Mayor of Murcia...this sort of rain hasn't been seen for 100 years.

However, Costa Blanca does have a better all year round climate than the Costa Del Sol.

I've been in January and come back with a tan, then in March have seen non stop rain....

Between October to March on the Sol the weather is never guaranteed....so this must be a shock for all of the affected regions

I see FB has raised a Safe page for holidaymakers or expats. I have just seen a friends status showing 'Margaret xxxxxxx has marked herself safe in Spain'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 5 of 9

pgn
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Crazy - wildfires in Tenerife, hail and lightning and severe rainfall in the Balearics. 

The world is, truly, upside-down. 

Message 6 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Unbelievable

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Two of my wife's uncles live in Spain (not sure where) but they live in villages affected by the rain.
One of them has been completely cut off, with some of the more elderly and infirm being evacuated.
Talking to my MIL, he told her that he had plenty of food and wine in so he was ok!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I hope they stay safe @gmarkj  and that this nightmare ends soon. I have never known anything like it in Spain before (at this time of year)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 9