Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Iceland Christmas Advert Banned

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Iceland produced an advert for Christmas, which was based on saving the rainforest

The commercial, made with Greenpeace, features an animated orangutan and highlights the destruction of the rainforest by palm oil growers.

The advertising clearance body, Clearcast, who screen broadcast adverts, deemed that the film breaks rules banning political advertising laid down by the 2003 Communications Act.

Earlier this year, Iceland became the first major UK supermarket to announce they are removing palm oil from all its own-brand products.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/watch-iceland-christmas-ad-banned/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2...

Political correctness gone mad?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Amazed to see bread and ice cream on the list @Cleoriff. What in heavens name is palm oil or a derivative doing in either, I wonder. 

I'll be checking ingredients in future to avoid palm oil as much as I can, that's for sure.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 21 of 26

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Why ban this?  Seems no different to the plethora of "give us your hard earned cash" charities using mega rich celebrities who make more money than they could ever spend to promote themeselves.

I'm all for charity, but if these rich people give up even half of their wealth for charity, they could still live a far more comfortable life than I could ever imagine, and charities would not need to beg for money from the general public who work hard to get by every day.

Thanks

Steve
Message 22 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Particularly as Iceland aren't asking for anything. They are promoting awareness of how to help save our rainforests.

The advert does say Iceland has banned Palm Oil from its products, probably encouraging you to shop there though that doesn't bother me at all. Everyone offers different encouragement to shoppers.

This, to me, gives over a far more important message.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 26

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Absolutely.  Drawing attention to things that are destroying our world should not be deemed as political.

Thanks

Steve
Message 24 of 26

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

But showing Christmas adverts for toys, jewellery, perfume, not to mention all the other supermarket Christmas adverts designed to get you to spend money, in their shops are deemed okay.

Then people overspend on things and food they don't want or need maxing out their credit cards and often ending up in debt. Not to mention the food that is wasted because too much was purchased in the first place. This is all deemed okay.

The advertising regulatory bodies have some very strange ideas about what is/isn't acceptable.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 25 of 26

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @Cleoriff

This does give over a far more important message ~ as you said.

I have been looking at my goods today.

I see that most soap products probably have it amongst the mumble mumble on the reverse labels. So that is difficult, the  shampoo washing up hand cream and clothes washing liquid

I went through my food cupboard and found nothing.

I sorted through the bread and the only one that had a palm mention in it was the Wraps.

I make my own bread in a bread machine ~ so there is no palm oil in that.  The pittas bought

do not have oil in at all, so ok there.

Spread is also difficult because it says vegetable oil 

As mentioned can only do best and hope that the advert highlights a sustainable source of Palm Oil which would be ok.

TallTrees

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 26 of 26