Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Iceland Christmas Advert Banned

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Iceland produced an advert for Christmas, which was based on saving the rainforest

The commercial, made with Greenpeace, features an animated orangutan and highlights the destruction of the rainforest by palm oil growers.

The advertising clearance body, Clearcast, who screen broadcast adverts, deemed that the film breaks rules banning political advertising laid down by the 2003 Communications Act.

Earlier this year, Iceland became the first major UK supermarket to announce they are removing palm oil from all its own-brand products.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/news/watch-iceland-christmas-ad-banned/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2...

Political correctness gone mad?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This from The Guardian sums it up beautifully.

Major retailers enter a battle every Christmas to make us cry with their saccharine seasonal ads – but this year we already have a clear winner.

Concern about our planet has never been greater, thanks to last month’s UN report warning that we have 12 years to stop irreversible damage to the Earth.

Yet, one month on, a supermarket’s Christmas advert showing the damage palm oil is doing to the natural world has been deemed 'Too political to put on TV'

If that doesn’t make you weep, I’m not sure what will.

Iceland repackaged a short film by Greenpeace, showing the destruction of an orangutan’s rainforest habitat due to palm oil growers. Palm oil is about as unsustainable as it gets, and contributes to habitat loss and the endangerment of species, including elephants, rhinos, tigers and orangutans.

(More in the article below)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/09/iceland-christmas-ad-palm-oil-banned

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 26

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Well done Iceland ~ I am with you.  

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 26

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Yet adverts for WWF are  not as "political"? Except they're asking for money and Iceland are making a statement based on facts and their own mission? 

Message 13 of 26

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10652 Posts
  • 118 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
And from now on I am making sure I do everything I can not to buy product with palm oil in.😪

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees wrote:
And from now on I am making sure I do everything I can not to buy product with palm oil in.😪

Is Palm Oil labelled?

Message 15 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@TallTrees wrote:

Is Palm Oil labelled?

If it's in the ingredients of any products it has to be displayed @Anonymous wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 26

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So here are 10 things that contain palm oil. Some may surprise you....

https://thecornishlife.co.uk/10-things-youre-buying-probably-contain-palm-oil/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TallTrees wrote:

Is Palm Oil labelled?

If it's in the ingredients of any products it has to be displayed @Anonymous wink

But like the article states.. most of it says vegetable oil, not palm oil. So I’m wondering how we can find out which are the baddies and which aren’t!

There’s a link at the bottom of that article which gives all the names that refer to palm oil.. read HERE .. 

how the merry **** am I supposed to remember all those names, I mean come on..

Message 19 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymouslooking at that list it would be almost impossible to avoid everything

However, we can only do our best with what we do know.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 26