The Holidays crafts thread!

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

christmas-decor-glitter-handmade-518225.jpg

Although it's quite easy to find beautiful decorations and presents in shops, it can be so much more personal, special, and frankly fun to make some of these at home christmas_tree

Whether you make your own cards, tinsel, wreath, baubles, or even presents, we want to know all about it! I've only decorated cards so far year on year but I learned to crochet recently so I'm hoping next year I'll be able to start making some scarves and hats to gift for the holidays ...

Here you can share your tips, tricks, experience or aspirations in terms of crafts: so let the crafting begin!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

We pull together some relevant photos from the preceding year, and put them into wall calendars for the immediate family who are far-distant.

Others get a selection of photos as a collage in a letter sent at around this time, sometimes before, but usually just after Christmas.

I doo miss Google Picasa thoough, it was the bee's knees for making wonderful collages!  Google Photos just gives you a boring (up to 9 x 9) grid. So much for product improvement.... tongue_closed

Message 11 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@pgn

We still use Picasa on our laptops?.

https://picasa.en.uptodown.com/windows

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 19

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgn

We still use Picasa on our laptops?.

https://picasa.en.uptodown.com/windows

Yes, but they keep turning off bits of it (latest here)... and all our phones now upload automatically to Google Photos, resulting in multiple copies of things dotted around here there and everywhere.

And the Mrs has been Chromebook for many years...

Message 13 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@pgn

I have never used it on my phone, just PC and works fine for us...(so far...though not attempted to do the same as you)

My other half uses it for editing photos and pictures. Cropping and changing colour etc...nothing fancy.

I suppose it just does the basic stuff. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 19

pgn
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgn

I have never used it on my phone, just PC and works fine for us...(so far...though not attempted to do the same as you)

Luck of the draw I suppose. wink

Oh, no - the phone(s) is(are) the source(s) of the photos.

The PC (me) and the Chromebook (she) are the means to make the collages etc.

Picasa stopped working on the Chromebook many moons ago, and since I moved to Win10, I hav not installed it on my all-64bit (well, almost) laptop.

Sorry for the confusion.

Message 15 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

That's ok.

As I said we both have Win 10 laptops and it's on both of them. Though my hubby is the only one who still does 'fancy' stuff with it upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 19

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I use Picasa on the laptop. I do drag the photos down from Google or straight from the phone. Works fine for me.

Message 17 of 19

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

For years we had decorations our son had made at school on the tree, but unfortunately they eventually give up the ghost "broke".

Nearest to this now is a little santa decoration with our son's name on that his late grandad bought him many years ago. This has pride and place just below the star on the tree innocent

The IT dept. at work always provide festive wallpapers for our computers

Thanks

Steve
Message 18 of 19

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

So many ideas! Confused

Thanks for sharing @Cleoriff, @Anonymous, @Titanium@davethorp@mahj@TallTrees@pgn and @welshsteve76 - I'll need to step up my game next year. I think I'll practice my crochet throughout the year for once to be able to make some handcrafted pratical & seasonal presents next year, but I'll also look into some of the ideas you put here smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 19 of 19