Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technology to make traveling easier

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This would help getting through airport security a lot!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/analogic-is-using-medical-imaging-tech-to-speed-up-airport-security....

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Nah, went it breaks down then its back to the manual method of dragging everything out of the case putting it on the grey trays then watch as someone decides to pick up your stuff whilst you're being held back because they've decided to stop and do a detector test on you.

Being less cynical, you'll still see the same amount of security personnel involved as the airports will find it cheaper to employ people than spend money on a machine. On the other hand, the quicker they get you through security, it means even more opportunities to try and get you to buy from the overpriced shops on the other side!

Sheepdog in "Why would I really want to buy a suitcase before I get on a plane?" mode

Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anything that helps. I've lost count of the times I've been stopped and asked to empty my carry-on bag. No matter how careful you are in putting electronice n the scanner tray there is always something you forget.

Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Looks excellent....anything to speed up security, though I doubt they would invest as they will be horrendously expensive.

Interesting they say 'down the line you may be able to keep liquids in your bag'

I doubt any airport will go for that. They make far too much money charging you ridiculous prices for a bottle of water. 30p from Asda as opposed to £1.50 when you are airside....frowning2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35234 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Loved the video, wonder why they made the CT (computerized tomography, using X-rays) scanner look like a jet engine?

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/09/15/analogic-is-using-medical-imaging-tech-to-speed-up-airport-sec...

Hope nobody puts in an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scanner by mistake - bits of zippers, rivets, popstuds and anything magnetic will be pulled clean out of the material (if you have ever watched House MD and the talk of MRI scans...!).

Interesting article - especialy the bit where they say checked luggage has been going through such CT scanners for many years already!  Terminal 5 Luggage Hall at Heathrow must have several of these by now:

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Love the thought of the MRI scanners @pgn it made me laugh. joy

Doubt they would make that mistake though, as the difference in cost of CT and MRI scanners are vastly different.
We fund raised for 4 years to get an MRI scanner at our local hospital upside_down

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35234 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Doubt they would make that mistake though, as the difference in cost of CT and MRI scanners are vastly different.
We fund raised for 4 years to get an MRI scanner at our local hospital upside_down

They are expensve, but indispensable I imagine.  Got to love the Spanish health system - their expensive MRI scanners operate around the clock, you could find you have an appointment at 00:30 at night for your scheduled scan, I believe!  Here it's hard to get an X-ray in the local hospital after about 3pm on a Friday until the following Monday! D'oh!

Is the MRI scanner you got staffed to be kept operational 24x7?

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

They are expensve, but indispensable I imagine.  Got to love the Spanish health system - their expensive MRI scanners operate around the clock, you could find you have an appointment at 00:30 at night for your scheduled scan, I believe!  Here it's hard to get an X-ray in the local hospital after about 3pm on a Friday until the following Monday! D'oh!

Is the MRI scanner you got staffed to be kept operational 24x7?

It's not staffed 24/7 UNLESS it's an emergency (usually trauma) case, then the radiologist on call would be called in. Same as any X-ray dept in the UK. Closes at 7pm but always someone on call. The Accident and Emergency Or EMU depts decide whether an Xray or scan is required as an emergency.

Our Xray dept at the local hospital is staffed all day Saturday as well. Sunday it's on call.

I have had an elective (non emergency) CT scan on a Saturday morning.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ll have to take a picture of our scanner the next time I see it parked up.. 😕

Message 10 of 12