Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk Stolen Data

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Talk Talk have admitted that some customers accounts have been 'hacked'.

The information stolen included names, addresses, phone numbers and TalkTalk account numbers. The company was confident that no sensitive or payment data went astray in the hack.

The theft of data was unearthed when TalkTalk investigated a sudden rise in complaints from customers about scam calls between October and December 2014  'Only a few thousand accounts were affected'!!

It made interesting reading to see Talk Talk admitting that the attackers got at some of TalkTalk's internal systems via a third-party that also had access to its network. Legal action is now being taken against this unnamed third party.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31656613

I am no expert....but does this ring warning bells with anyone? slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's quite refreshing that the company admits to a breach by what I would assume is one their so-called trusted partners. Parallels with O2's own data breach which as far as we are aware has never been admitted to and which seems now to have been glossed over and forgotten about.

Message 2 of 51

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

And as it's been glossed over and swept under the carpet, it will undoubtedly happen again.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122361 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

When I read the article I thought Talk Talks approach to their customers showed an element of 'care' that was quite refreshing.....

They admitted the breach was very worrying and anyone who thinks they have been affected has been given a dedicated phone number to call.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am not Talk Talk customer but it is always good to be reminded that we all need to be alert to the activities of scammers so thanks @Cleoriff for posting.
The BBC report includes this
"If in doubt, go the extra mile to confirm that the person contacting you is legitimate."
Perhaps someone who knows about these things would explain what the extra mile is please?
Message 5 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well what can we say? O2 could learn a few things here. ...
Message 6 of 51

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I don't know if Talk Mobile and Talk Talk are related companies however one of my parents had issues with them and they had to pay a large "unverified" amount of cash towards their bill. Since if it was rolling contract they cancelled soon after that.

Could this be related...who knows?

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
Talk Mobile and Talk Talk ARE part of the same group.
Message 8 of 51

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The guy in CPW said they weren't; funny, lied through his rectal release no doubt.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 9 of 51

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Talk Mobile and Talk Talk ARE part of the same group.

Sure ???

http://talkmobile.co.uk/

http://mobile.talktalk.co.uk/

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 51