Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablets

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Having just received a call that my chosen tablet is out of stock for a month+(asus transformer prime).

I wanted to know if anyone has a suggestion for a good one?

Main needs are;
Wifi/LTE/ or 3G connectivity,
A reasonable rear camera 8mb+ would be prefereable.
And preferably not iOS as I need to install my own program's on it.

It will be used for work not as a movie/gaming device.

Just need to be able to run mysql databases on the fly and upload/download images.

Any ideas?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Anything Android based will do the job. The Nexus 7 & 10 are great value....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
The nexus 10 was my second choice unfortunatly it falls flat on its camera quality:(

Edit: its not bad quality just it won't resize that well with such a low pixel count.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
How about any of the Samsung tablets, they look like they are pretty good
Message 4 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Well I'd be surprised if any tablet would be able to run MySql locally! If its got an ssd you might be looking at a replacement sooner rather than later due to the read/writes of a database. 

I'd suggest looking at the Windows 7 alternatives (they're still out there) if you need to do work stuff as MS Office is never mentioned as being essential to the road warrior.

I could suggest you have a web based interface to your server accessing it over 3G and do it that way but that would take a bit of time to set up. 

Message 5 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Sorry poor choice of words. It will only be updating/query a sql database. Your quite correct a tablet would not have the resources to act as a server.

I would inevitably use myphpadmin and possibly a code editor(notepad with syntax highlighting plugin)
Message 6 of 8

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Phpadmin over the web I take it? Still a bit of overkill to input data! Digressing in Liquid style (oooh an Inception moment), if your data structure is relatively simple then you could export it to a spreadsheet then if updating data, re-import it later.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at the Samsung Note tablets that has a stylus. The Galaxy Note 8.0 is a recent release and seems to have everything you need though you will need to wait for the 3G version to be released. 

Message 7 of 8

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Very good point. I believe you have cracked it my friend thank you:)

Message 8 of 8