Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THURSDAY QUIZ 30 May 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the THURSDAY QUIZ for 30 May 2019.

As promised, there are three questions:

Q1 Who was the outlaw who robbed the rich and gave to the poor?

Q2 Which highwayman rode a horse from outside London to York to escape?

Q3 What did pirates do to the sailors on board the ships they took over?

The THURSDAY QUIZ is open to everyone.

The rules:

No googling, wiki, social media, website searches for the answers.

Please answer all three questions in the same post as - Q1 = [answer]; Q2 = [answer]; Q3 = [answer].

If you do not know the answer to any question, please say Q? = [don`t know].

You may submit a second set of answers, but only after another member has posted their first answers.

You may submit the same answer or answers as another player, but most state, "I agree with xxxx, and my answer to Q... is..."

The Thursday Quiz will open at 9pm tonight [Wed 29 May] when you may submit your first set of answers and this Thursday Quiz will remain open until 12 noon Friday 31 May.

Answers will be given after 1pm on Friday 31 May.

Incorrect answers will be given the * klaxon *; correct answers will be awarded trophy; with credit for interesting facts.

The most amusing answer[s] will be awarded a special sweat smile award

Good luck.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 66
65 REPLIES 65

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Far too technical for the bozo in charge.....

Only joking @Mi-Amigo LOL

Yer right @jonsie , I don`t do tech so I`m gonna use that State of the F A R T guy off Britain`s Got Talent instead of a klaxon joy

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 31 of 66

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Far too technical for the bozo in charge.....

Only joking @Mi-Amigo LOL

Yer right @jonsie , I don`t do tech so I`m gonna use that State of the F A R T guy off Britain`s Got Talent instead of a klaxon joy

Oh please don't. I have no idea how that guy got through to the semi finals....

As for the things @pgn  posted, dont bother with those either. The African countries used them at every match they played in during a World Cup series and they were bloody horrendous Shirty

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 66

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

As for the things @pgn  posted, dont bother with those either.  Shirty

Ah, did you watch the video though? You may be surprised... D'oh!

Message 33 of 66

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

BGT....I think the public watch different shows to me. Unfathomable votes and last night's was certainly rigged!

Message 34 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

BGT....I think the public watch different shows to me. Unfathomable votes and last night's was certainly rigged!

I agree @jonsie . As lovely as the Chelsea Pensioner was , people voted with their hearts. I think the young lads in the band and the older guy who did magic and comedy deserved a place. I wasn't even impressed with the comedian who got through on the judges vote. He didn't make me laugh at all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 66

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Totally agree @jonsie and @Cleoriff 

The one thing which I find annoying with BGT is the sympathy votes by the public and judges. I mean we have had, in the past, that dreadful magician who came on in his miltary uniform; and this year we have the copper and his "mindreading" dog. Sure, the magician served his country; and the dog saved the police officer`s life and both should be recognised - but this is not a "hero" worship programme but about talent. And I didn`t find the comedian amusing at all.

Having said that we have had some very good acts and I do enjoy the show because it is variety.

My fav? The four young magicians - brilliant. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 37 of 66

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To return to the thread...

there is still plenty of time for members to get their answers in for this week`s Thursday Quiz. You have until 12 noon tomorrow [Friday] to give your three answers and I`ll announce the results after 1pm.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 38 of 66

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The trouble with the programme @Mi-Amigo  is each night the level of the acts should be the same.

For instance I didn't enjoy Tuesday much at all. The level of nearly every act was poor. (apart from the 4 young magicians.)

I thinks that's the reason the woman who is trying to be Victoria Wood and failing badly imo, got through.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 66

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THURSDAY QUIZ - 30 May 2019: THE RESULTS.

Six members - @viridis ; @Cleoriff ; @Glory1 ; @MI5 ; @pgn ; @jonsie - entered

@viridis: Q1 Robin Hood - incorrect * klaxon *; Q2 Dick Turpin - incorrect * klaxon *; Q3 in service or marooned - correct trophy

@Cleoriff: Q1 Robert de Kyme - incorrect * klaxon *, credit for knowing Robin Hood folkname for outlaw; Q2 John Nevison - correct trophy + credit for knowing nickname Swift Nick; Q3 killed, joined crew, marooned - correct trophy

@Glory1: Q1 [as @Cleoriff ] - incorrect * klaxon *, but credit; Q2 [as @Cleoriff ] correct trophy + credit; Q3 [as @Cleoriff ] - correct trophy + credit for knowing sold as slaves.

@MI5: Q1 [as @Cleoriff ] - incorrect * klaxon *; but credit; Q2 [as @Cleoriff ] - correct trophy + credit; Q3 [as @Glory1 ] - correct trophy + credit.

@pgn: Q1 no answer - no points; Q2 Dick Turbine - incorrect * klaxon *; Q3 walk the plank - incorrect *klaxon *.

@jonsie: Q1 Richard Greene [played Robin Hood in TV series] - incorrect * klaxon * [Richard Greene did charity work, giving to poor, so credit]; Q2 Dick Godiva - * incorrect * [but Sir William Dick designed the statue of Lady Godiva on a horse, unveiled in Coventry on 22 Oct 1949, so credit]; Q3 keel-hauled - * incorrect * klaxon.

This week`s winners are @Glory1 and @MI5 - each with trophy trophy and three credits.

The special award for the most amusing answer goes to @jonsie for answer to Q3: "keel-hauled them and then cut off their barnacles" laughing

Information on the correct answers is in the next post.

Thanks everyone for playing.

Next week`s Thursday Quiz will be three questions on

The Olympics

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 40 of 66