Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

O2 Community 2019 Advent Calendar

Hi guys,

I hope you're all having a lovely weekend. slight_smile

I was reading an article on the BBC website about sustainable Christmas trees (you can read it here), and thought it would be nice to start a discussion on Christmas tips around sustainability!

The business mentioned in the article rents Christmas trees instead of selling them, and after the Christmas period, they collect the trees back and replant them. The plastic netting around the trees is made of potato starch, which means it is 100% biodegradable as well.

Christmas tree

Sustainable Christmas doesn't only cover the tree, there are many other things you can do to have a more sustainable holiday period, from thinking about what kind of presents you give, what you eat, and what you wear. Some examples from the article mentioned things like party glitter products made without harmful micro-plastics, gift products made of recycled sailcloth, sponsoring rather than eating a turkey. 

Those were a few examples of how businesses are thinking about a more sustainable Christmas with the products and services they offer.

Do you guys think of sustainability when celebrating? If so, in what ways? slight_smile Do you have any tips or ideas to share on how to be more eco-friendly when it comes to gifts, food or decorations?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I had a very pretty ecard for Christmas today and I could reply with a thank you. No waste of cardboard.
Message 11 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My son in Germany and my wife in Thailand exchange ecards with me. But it's not easy choosing one from the hundreds available!

Message 12 of 13

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have never sent an ecard. I think I will instead of text or email to some. Email can have nice attachments though too.
Message 13 of 13