Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Camp Stories

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Growing up, I heard my mom talk about all the summers she spent at camp and how amazing it was to go every year. She also managed to break 13 bones in one summer at said camp, but that's another story. Because she remembered these times so fondly, I was always eager to go to camp myself.

Now keep in mind I essentially lived outside during the summers, but I was ready for some of that *fancy* camping. So off I went.

card00434_fr.jpg

Now this is a post card that was sold at the camp Trading Post so you could write home and tell them about all the amazing things you were doing. Do not be misled, there was no such thing as a relaxing picnic by the lake!

Every moment of everyday was scheduled. You even had to eat food on a timer. We did canoe, for the allotted two hours. We rode horses, for the allotted one hour. We made tie-dye shirts, and did basket-weaving, and pottery (all very terribly, mind). 

There was a day for us to go "creek stomping" but you weren't supposed to go if you hadn't brought extra shoes. Not to be left out, I, of course, lied and said I did. I lived with squishy shoes and the anger of the counsellor for the rest of the week.

It was hectic but it was definitely an unforgettable experience. I'll always remember how the fireflies in the trees all flashed in unison every night. Sadly those are all gone these days.

Although I hated 99% of my time there, I'm a people pleaser and told my mom  I loved it. I got sent back twice more 🙃

And yeah, they do still have a bugler to wake everyone up in the morning...

Girls'_Activities_-_Girl_Scouts_-_Girl_Scout_Camp_at_Central_Valley._The_bugler_of_the_girl_scouts_camp_at_Central_Valley,_New_York_-_NARA_-_31483120.jpg

Do you have any Summer Camp or Camping stories? Does the lack of poisonous animals make it less scary here? Tell me everything.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@BreannaI don't think there are many summer camps for kids in the UK. (If there are, it's been recent as I don't remember my grandchildren going? It sounds great fun, even though it's a bit strict. 😂

I have never camped at all. It's never appealed to me.

I've had loads of caravan holidays when my boys were just kids.

We once drove down to Port Grimaud in France. Stayed in a caravan in a beautiful forest location. Problem was we borrowed my Dad's car and we had two punctures and many other breakdowns so we daren't risk going anywhere via car. Bit disappointing really.😎

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Nothing like a flat tire to make a memory! All part of the journey though. Port Grimaud looks beautiful  😱

Message 3 of 3