Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3333 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2910 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for posting above @Cleoriff 

I enjoyed the Sunday show ... = ... lovely 'My Fair Lady' opening by the professisonal dancers ..... @sheepdog Did Kai dance with Nadiya who are professionally & personally linked together ... ?

Bobby said he and Diane had performed their iconic Dirty Dancing routine, better in practice - sad 😞

Craig did mention when with Claudia and the other dancers - that of course Layton and Nikita danced a theatrical interpretation of the paso ..... so, why give them 10 ? ..... The paso is the male dancer as the matador and the female dancer his cape! ......... SCD is a ballroom and Latin American dancing competition.

Looking forward to Saturday's show ... with ... hopefully fair comments and marks from the judges.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 151 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126370 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

All Songs and Dances for Week 12

• Ellie LeachCouple's Choice to Dua Lipa Medley and a Cha Cha Cha to Mambo Italiano by Bette Midler
  • Layton Williams Charleston to Fit as a Fiddle by Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor and a Rumba to Lift Me Up by Rihanna
  • Bobby Brazier Quickstep to Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin and a Paso Doble to Run Boy Run by Woodkid
  • Annabel CroftSalsa to You'll Be Mine (Party Time) by Gloria Estefan and a Viennese Waltz to Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want by Slow Moving Millie

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 152 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3333 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

One of the harder weeks to call in regards to tune matching. However, not that I'm going to hold back....

Annabel: of the lot, both these tunes are perfect for the dances. However, latin isn't exactly her thing but who knows with the progress she's been making. If DAO get this right, it could be good. If she opens the show, it needs to be good. As for the VW, never heard of the artist until I YouTubed it but I think a very very good match. And ballroom is her stronger dance so given she's likely to be in the dance-off. Tactically this should be her second dance. 

Bobby: Not sure if Mack the Knife is a quickstep but more of a American Smooth. He should pull this off given the grandness of the occasion. My my my Delilah - the lyrics are a bit dark aren't they for a family friendly show! Have to admit the name of the Run Boy Run tune didn't come to mind but YouTubing it, I now remember it. Has elements of Paso but not enough of a tune to be a paso so no change from the rest of the series. If this is his chosen dance-off dance, against Annabel's VW he may be the one leaving. 

Layton: Goodness, the Charleston tune is real grate on the ears. So perfect for Layton who just grates! Lets see what "unique style" he brings this week that we haven't seen already. As for the rumba, Rhianna is another one on the list of modern mediocrity with another grating tune. Was used in Wakanda Forever which too grated on my nerves. So this is perfect for Layton. Judges will likely score him highly on his moves. I'll just hate both dances now.

Ellie: Couples Choice is rather daring at this stage of the competition and a big risk. Dua Lipa, I'm sure, is a product of ChatGPT that thinks modern music should be like by ripping off everything in the last 30 years and adding the extra dynamic of trainspotting on a sunday afternoon. As for Mambo Italiano & Cha-Cha, surely this is up for the 40 mark? I'd expect nothing less from Vito and Ellie pulling out an absolute stormer and that includes you DAO. 

Given the scores carry over from last week, it's an almost a certainty Layton will be in the final unless he does screw up both dances. So it's likely between Annabel and Bobby to fight who's better in ballroom and who makes the least mistakes. Both I'd rather see in the final above Layton.

Message 153 of 178

RunrigForever
  • 2910 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The SCD group I belong to don't say much about Layton.

They say a lot about wanting to Ellie to win.

Some appreciate Annabel & so do they Bobby.

For me it's Ellie & Vito all the way, because of their consistency.

Hope the judges realize it is up to them to convey accurately the nature of the dance(s) they are marking.

***DESORMAIS***
Message 154 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126370 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Semi Final-

I'll probably do this in 2 parts!

Bobby and Diane Quickstep.

A great dance, sweeping  around the floor. Shirley said Anton had lost his King of Ballroom title and it was now Bobby's. Scored 38

Layton and Nikita. Rumba.

Well we all knew how this was going  to go as far as the judges  were concerned! A good Rumba but still a bit of a showdance. Hip action was missing  in places and a few footwork errors Scored 36

Annabel and Johannes. Salsa.

Oh dear. As much as I wanted her to do well, this wasn't a good dance for her. Too many lifts and a few mistakes. Spin went wrong and was more of a skid. Scored 32

Ellie and  Vito. Cha Cha Cha.

A good dance but made a mistake. Great lockstep though. Enjoyed it overall Scored 37

So after the first dance 

Bobby Top,

Ellie 2nd

Layton 3rd

Annabel 4th

Remember though, last weeks scores were carried over.

Second Dance

Bobby and Dianne Paso Doble.

Not Paso music but he did so well with this. Very intense and strong.

the finish where Bobby dragged Dianne across the floor was just brilliant. Scored 35.

Layton and Nikita. Charleston

Lots of props with this dance. Umbrella and chairs. It did NOT appear like a Charleston to me. A great SHOWDANCE. Judges are determined he will be in the final. When Craig Stood up we just knew what the scores would be Scored (another) 40

Annabel and Johannes. Viennese Waltz.

Just beautiful and emotional. Not a dry eye in the room. Moved well round the floor.

For all the OTT comments from judges she was undermarked Scored 33.

Ellie and Vito Couples Choice.

Very risky doing a CC in semi-final. However it was bloody brilliant. Strong and passionate

I loved it. Scored 38

So the judges have made it clear who their favourite is!!

Final Scores including last weeks

Layton 116

Ellie 111

Bobby 107

Annabel 98.

Very disappointed at such blatant favouritism for a professional dancer. No doubt he will be in the final.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 155 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3333 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So Tess decides to borrow Claudia's fake tan lotion for the evening and the colour choice for her dress kind of didn't work yet Shirley looked better in the same colour.

Bobby what a cracking quickstep. Movement all over the floor and in the right way. Also noted his smile was one of enjoyment which just added to the routine. Minus mark for Diane’s makeup which ended up everywhere. 
Second dance: hmmm. A bit too much of an artistic impression for me than a classic paso. A few sharp movements didn’t work for me either but otherwise an impressive routine. Thought the John Sargent tribute with the chicken walk was an interesting addition. Thankfully at the end where no points were going to be awarded for technique. Question is will he do this or the far better quickstep in the dance- off?

Layton I make no disguise in that hate the rumba. This made no difference. In fact I will go as far to say with the ability and flexibility Layton has, this fell short of his capabilities. 
Second dance: Surprisingly Craig failed to notice the lack of swivel which is notorious for picking up on. Unsurprisingly the judges nominated their preferred candidate for the final.

Annabel This was always going to a hard one. Apart from taking too long to get going there were transition errors but she didn’t screw it up completely and made it fun for her. Stupid comment by Motsi on saying giving ten is boring then giving Layton a ten in the next round. Time you got booted off Motsi. 
Second dance. Judges clearly nominated their exit candidate in the VT and in the subsequent post dance comments. Insults didn’t stop with the obvious undermarking to what was an excellent VW. 

Ellie  that’s one brilliant cha cha and up there with the best of them. A second viewing shows how much technique was involved.

Second dance I said it was a big risk and….wasn’t this more of a message to Layton saying my show dance rehearsal is way better than yours. Claws are out. Didn’t quite get what form of dance it was but she can do anything well! 

So if the public votes goes awry and the judges get to feel the pressure,  we would see Layton v Ellie in the dance-off. Would be fun watching the BBC squirm over the judges picking Layton seeing the forums explode and to add more spice, let’s see how many MP’s raise it in PM question time over how there’s no transparency at the BBC 🤣 It’s not going to happen because it will be Annabel going no matter but Bobby’s Quickstep v Annabel’s VW will be a tough choice. 

Good show tonight for dances, poor show by the judges. 

Take That are tomorrows musical act on foregone conclusion of a results show. Performing their new single so goodness knows what it will be like. 

Message 156 of 178

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126370 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

@sheepdog 

I flicked over before the end as I didn't want to miss I'm A Celeb Get Me Out Of Here- It started 30 minutes later though and I can't believe Nigel Farage is in the final three!)

Anyway back to I'm Biased SCD.....

I like Take That. Pity they're not singing The Flood (just for the constant crying of Layton)

I agree it will be Bobby and Annabel in the dance off. I think if it was Layton and Ellie, there would be an uproar if Ellie was sent home. So, I can't see either of them there.

Interesting how Shirley told people to vote vote vote for their favourite, just after Ellie danced. She told people not to presume anyone was safe. 🙄

Doubt she would have dared make that comment after Layton had danced. Particularly after all the OTT marks and slobbering when they showed their blatant favouritism.

As for transparency of the BBC? This must be the reason we never get to know who comes 2nd and  3rd in the final of SCD. Only the winner. I've always disliked that part of the program. What's to hide?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 157 of 178

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126370 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Well didn't that go as expected!!

Lovely opening number by professionals (complete with dog)

First couple through to final Ellie and Vito.

PS I have this read this pair are now a couple in real life!!

In Dance off Bobby and Dianne (who will dance the Quickstep)

Enjoyed Take That ...Not their best song but I love them whatever they do.

Then a chat with biased judges who pretended that it could have been anyone in the final

I felt like spitting in their eyes to be honest.

Back to Tess who told us what we already knew:

Annabel and Johannes are the 2nd couple in dance off (will dance Viennese Waltz)

I muted the interview with Layton. Not interested in what this professional dancer has to say!!

The BBC had better pull their socks up because I wont watch again if we have a repeat of this farce.

The dance off was excellent though I think Bobby edged it.

Craig voted for Annabel (No surprise to me)

Motsi saved Bobby

Anton saved Bobby.

Shirley saved Bobby.

Annabels speech about Johannes was emotional, as was his his about her. So sad.

The finalists  are

Layton and Nikita

Bobby and Dianne

Ellie and Vito.

Over to the public next week.

Go Ellie .... ❤️

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 158 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3333 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Tess in an outfit you won’t see her shopping at Tesco on a Friday night. Looked good in white. Claudia in a black and white primary remix from the cupboard but respectable. Judges all in black symbolising the death of their credibility. 

Pro number was a far better effort from Jason Wilkerson and the dog? Wasn’t expecting that!  And talking of that, Take That! were cheesey as was the tune but who cares, it was fun.

Dance-off thoughts: good decision by Bobby to do the quickstep which made the dance off a really hard one.  Thought it was flat this time round and he did go out of sync at the end worse than the first time. But cruel to point out a tiny mistake on Annabel but it was going to be that wasn’t it. Personally I thought Annabel was the just the better but again a hard one anyway and no grudges against Bobby. Quite surprised at Craig voting against the others considering he’s the one who points out the mistakes in the dance-off. When is credibility funeral again?

For the first time in about a decade, I won’t be watching the live final so will see it on iPlayer quite late. Will try to cast votes for Ellie pending an unscheduled pit stop on the road 😎

Message 159 of 178

RunrigForever
  • 2910 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff & @sheepdog for your critiques, as ever xx

I didn't watch the show as was resting upstairs.

Have seen Bobby's quickstep though on my phone ... & ... I should like to make a positive observation ... = ... the superb body contact in Bobby's and Diane's midriff section when in hold ... ... ... this is actually basic ballroom dancing school bronze medalist standard ! ... ... ... Craig used to call it 'Gapping'.

I have time tomorrow, before some medical staff come to visit me in the afternoon, to watch tonight's show on the iPlayer. I particularly want to enjoy Annabel & Johannes' Viennese Waltz.

Will definitely try to gear up to see SCD Final next week live.

The SCD group I belong to on Facebook are of our opinion regarding Layton, considering some of this weekend's show xx slight_smile

***DESORMAIS***
Message 160 of 178