Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strictly 2023

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strictly is back and I've just realised how long ago I logged in. Still, it's that time of the year when our Saturday evening viewing highlight is Strictly. @Cleoriff we get to fill the off-topic section for a couple of months 🙂

This year, the BBC seems to have discovered "celebz" by utilising the Sonar Mapping technology. Just watch this informative video on how the BBC uncovers the latest contestants for this year. Yep, it's not going to be pretty again...

To start, it's Layton Williams who's apparently an actor and starred in such things as musicals so obviously the ringer of the series. Sonar ping did take a while to return: 
p0g4wf0l

Next up, is someone who has apparently been acting for 3 decades and yet remains completely anonymous to me. Here is Amanda Abbington who's claim to fame is Martin Freeman's ex. Apparently causing a stir on Twitter for a tiny minority. 

p0g4vtdm

Lo and behold, we now have a household name: Angela Rippon! Apart from reading the news way back when there were 3 channels, she's also presented Strictly's predecessor Come Dancing for a while.  Also 79 so out by week 2. 

p0g4w15r

Celebz number 4 is Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Since I have never watched C4 news ever, I've just seen clips of him in passing. Sheepdog's Strictly Score: probably mid-table mediocrity.

p0g501j0

Sonar pinging is really taking its time with our next Celebz: Eddie Khadi. According to the webpage: "Recognised as one of the most globally celebrated stand up personalities...". Though the page fails to specify which planet. Could be fun, could be gone before his time and maybe putting in a job application for Claudia.p0g552wt

Returning an audio signal is the nice but rather bland TV presenter Angela Scanlon. Could be the dark horse of the series or could be a better presenter than Claudia next year.

p0g57myb

Come in Contestant number 7, your time is up. This year's nominee for "Who's that?" award is Zara McDermott. Her wiki page classes her as an English media personality which you can guess, means looks pretty for the cameras. Cynicism aside, seems to be forging a career in documentaries and has a bit of career on television shows before Love Island.

p0g59r9q

So that's the first un-magnificent 7 announced. I suspect that we'll be getting the current vogue of a Drag Queen announced as a new feature and some other obscurities over the next few days. Maybe we may see a controversial choice of Philip Schofield now he's out of work on ITV. 

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same judges as before so more Motsi who's bound to be even more annoying this year so I shall look forward to muting "Motsi's Mumblings" and the still boring Tess and more of the same from Claudia.  Only real change (so far) from the pro's is that Amy Dowden won't be there due to recent cancer/Chemotherapy treatment. 

As for It Take's two, Jeanette Ranarama is back but seems someone likes Fleurgh East enough on the Beeb to give her a job co-presenting as Rylan's replacement. 

I think I'll be using iplayer on fast forward rather a lot this year.

Message 1 of 178
177 REPLIES 177

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Well really it should have been Nigel v Angela in the dance off. Though the peoples favourite having been in Eastenders and now Casualty made sure it wasn't him.

Still, Lady Rippon is out. Thank gawd!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 131 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Week 10 already and it doesn't get any less weirder with the combo choices. So:

Angela and Carlos: Cha Cha to I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor

Annabel and Johannes: Paso Doble to España Cañi by Trad.

Angela gets another Bridesmaids dance so looking to be a massive drop in quality from last weeks AT and into straight into the dance-off. Annabel is now in the push to be in the top 4 with what is the tune combo of the night:

Bobby and Dianne: Couple’s Choice to This Woman’s Work by Maxwell

Ellie and Vito: Argentine Tango to Bills, Bills Bills by Destiny’s Child

Now for two of the hardest ones to dance to. Will be a slow CC for Bobby and the tune is on the whiney side so may grate or may be gracious in delivery. Hoping the latter and not a repeat of one of earlier dance in the series. 

Why on earth do the producers think any record by Destiny Child is suitable for dancing to? Every record is  basically them chanting about girl power. This is really awful for an AT so Ellie needs something spectacular. 

Layton and Nikita: American Smooth to It’s Oh So Quiet by Björk

Nigel and Katya: Rumba to It’s All Coming Back To Me Now by Celine Dion

Hmm, hate to admit it but this looks like a good one for Layton. Expect more mirroring and out of hold and yes, lots of flamboyancy as usual with a ridiculous score to match.

Actually got it wrong in saying it was Layton with the rumba but it's not a good dance for Nigel. However the tune is full of drama and emotion (well it is sung by Celine Dion and wrecked by the DAO singer) so his acting skills will be needed to save him. 

Message 132 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Excellent music choice for Annabel's Paso.

Not sure about  Bobby's Couples choice!

Angela may be a candidate for the dance off.

As you said @sheepdog, terrible music choice for Ellie

Not interested in talking about LAYTON. This professional dancer has no place on SCD

Nigel has such a fan base that folk will vote for him even if he falls over!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 133 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Generally a damn good week.

Tess and Claudia both in red, though for once, I preferred Claudia's dress.

Motsi iin the most foul lime green ensemble!

Layton and Nikita. American Smooth.

I didn't like this at all. The judges seemed to be highly critical. Not as smooth as it should  have been. Layton's bum sticking out too much Scored 34

Nigel and Katya. Rumba.

Great choreography which made this easier for Nigel. Great arms! Scored 33

Annabel and Johannes. Paso Doble.

What a beautiful paso. Annabel gets better and better each week Very classy. Lovely footwork. Scored 36

Angela and Carlos. Cha Cha Cha.

This was ok but not a patch on last week. Scored 31

Bobby and Dianne. Couples Choice.

A beautiful dance for his mum, Very emotional. Not ashamed to say I cried most of the way through.

Simply superb. Scored 37

Ellie and Vito. Argentine Tango.

Wow just wow! Loved it. I wish Craig would stop being so hypercritical. Superb footwork. Great dance.

Scored 38.

Musical Act is Texas.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 134 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Tess in a glamorous dress, Claudia in RED and hair UP. Sadly the dress seemed more akin as a reject from the Sewing Bee. Still, colour suited her. Needed sunglasses for what colour Motsi was burning my eyeballs out with. 

Layton and Nikita: On first usually means you're not that good and this didn't deviate from the chosen path. Moaned about how difficult the dance was in the VT's. Not particularly good and as the judges remarked, not particularly smooth. See, this is what happens when you spend the previous 10 weeks adding your own style then get caught out. 

Nigel and KatyaWith those arm movements, you could have been mistaken for a dutch windmill! Which were quite large and expressive playing to his acting abilities but I didn't think his hips moved particularly much. Saying that, quite a good routine for a male rumba and better than Layton. 

Annabel and Johannes: Mid table mediocrity by being on third? Definitely not tonight. That opening run and leap was awesome and the rest of the dance showed determination. Leg extensions in the right places!!! Thought it lost a little momentum when the music changed key in the middle but even better than last week. 

Angela and Carlos: Yeah, I'll stand by my prediction in saying this her exit dance. Far too robotic and machine like though in fairness, still better than Layton. 

Bobby and Dianne: Oooh, playing the family card to the max. And justified it with his best dance of the series. Craig moaned about hand shaping but this is a CC so not a valid moan. 

Ellie and Vito: On last again and thankfully she didn't disappoint. Hit the beat, stepped all over Vito with grace and those lifts and kicks were outstanding. Again Craig and this time Anton moaned over their interpretation and were totally wrong. 

Top of the leaderboard: Ellie, Bobbie and Annabel then Layton, Nigel and monday nights guest on ITT: Angela. Hopefully Layton in the dance-off as well but at this stage, it could be anyone.

Tomorrow nights Musical Meh'be is Texas. Depending on what they're singing, they could be good. Black eyed boy or Halo and I'll be very happy but this one will suffice quite nicely for Strictly:

Message 135 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

First couple in Dance off

Layton  and Nikita (and wasn't Layton shocked!)

v

Angela and Carlos

I didn't enjoy Texas much at all. Someone had turned down her mic?

Results of dance off:

Layton and Nikita won. (Although Shirley voted for Angela)

Next week- Musicals week.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 136 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Stop the sentence! Tess and Claudia in rather nice outfits. In black but not flat black. Shirley channelling Claudia's 90's wig and Motsi in some extinct animal print. 

Enjoyed the opening number. Thought LA Confidential inspired and liked the storyline. Also had Nadiya front and centre in the femme fatale role so what's not love about it 😍😍😍 No Jason Gilkeson involvement so that's probably why. 

Dance-off was no surprise with Angela exiting though Shirley would have saved her on the character of the dance. Which is another way of saying, technically you're **** Layton.  Therefore, let's blame Anton for letting Layton do his ultimate campiness in musicals week. Which was the aim anyway wasn't it?

Wasn't my choice of a Texas track with Inner Smile and I remain sceptical (like that's not my default state 😎) that the guitarists were playing. @Cleoriff Indeed, we had to turn up the volume even more when watching it on a delayed player. Neither good nor bad but Sharleen could have made an effort to dress up. 

Message 137 of 178

sheepdog
  • 3334 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Oh great, week 11 is another theme week which means more dubious coupling of dances to obscure tunes from musicals. Or rather the ones they can get licences to perform to:

Annabel and Johannes: Foxtrot to For Good from Wicked

Ohh this could be another good one for Annabel listening to the tune. Foxtrot will be on the slower side  but it's coming down to technique now so needs to be perfect. 

Bobby and Dianne: Salsa to (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing

You know it but salsa? Ok party dance it is. Will need to have the show stopping swan dive and catch otherwise it may be flat. But here's the big question Bobby needs to answer: will it be as memorable as this version:

Ellie and Vito: Quickstep to Belle from Beauty And The Beast

Pretty much a forgettable track from the film and can't see how they're going to get a quickstep out of it. Unless I've listening to wrong version and there's an 80's hardcore rave version available. 

Layton and Nikita: Paso Doble to Backstage Romance from Moulin Rouge! The Musical

Ah, apparently this is a Lady Gaga Bad Romance/Britney Spears Toxic mashup. Interesting interpretation but as with most Paso's this series definitely not a Paso track so another (hopeful) dance-off for Layton. However you will expect lots of judges love for him to make sure he's not there.

Nigel and Katya: Charleston to Step In Time from Mary Poppins

Not exactly the most memorable tune from Mary Poppins so really up to Nigel not to make any errors to avoid the dance-off. Last chance really to show he's worthy of being in the final four on merit.

Oh doesn't this theme week mean extra backing dancers? Overall a really hard week for all of them except Layton who will relish it. Question then remains, are the judges looking for the character of the dance being musicals week or technique. 

Message 138 of 178

Cleoriff
  • 126378 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7558 Solutions

Layton and Nikita were on BBC breakfast this morning, drumming up the sympathy vote. I turned it off!

Never seen anyone get so much airtime as him. He was on Lorraine last week.

You can pretty much guarantee Nigel won't be in the dance off. He has such a massive fanbase it's bordering on the ridiculous. Some idiot on the SCD thread I follow said 'she would vote for Nigel every week as she knew Ellie would be safe' Someone else asked her 'what if Nigel was rubbish? Idiot replied 'she didn't care,  she loved him and wanted him to win'!!

I've seen the Paddy and Keith video many times. Always makes me laugh.

Got a feeling it probably will be Bobby and Layton in dance off @sheepdog 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 139 of 178

RunrigForever
Level 21: Regular
  • 2913 Posts
  • 38 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Haven't seen the Paddy & Keith vid before = luv it !

Fed up with Layton

I hope Annabel will show off her elegance in the slow foxtrot ... I do like her and Johannes - he brings out the best in her and they dance as a couple whereas Layton and Nikita do not !

I hope Ellie does well ..... I would like to see her win the show ..... she deserves it.

Katya needs to bring out more of what Nigel has got in him as a ballroom / Latin American dancer. 

Just to say ..... I don't watch SCD live as I am usually upstairs resting ... but ... see bits I like on my Facebook feed. Also I am a member of one of the Strictly groups on FB = what a biased lot they are too. I don't vote. Nigel is coming in for a lot of stick. Brendan Cole, former professional dancer on SCD is sticking up for him. Brendan was not shy of speaking up and 'running foul' of the judges ! Brendan won the 1st SCD with Natasha Kaplinsky, if my memory serves me well ? My gut feeling is that they are going to stick Nigel with a samba = the hardest of the Latin American dances. 

I enjoy the badinage of you two @sheepdog & @Cleoriff 

***DESORMAIS***
Message 140 of 178