cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping a landline slam online?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this isn't mobile related and yes I do still have a landline (shock horror)

Looks like someone has put their number in incorrectly or a company had initiated a move of my landline without my knowledge.

I've got up until 24th July to put the brakes on but does anyone know if there's anywhere outside of my existing supplier I can put the brakes on this online rather than having to call up as the request doesn't register on their portal?

Just asking as don't really want to take up my lunchbreak on Monday with such a call.

Considering slamming has been a problem for years I'm not sure why ofcom hasn't come up with something like the recent switch by text whether you have to provide an authorisation code, then again they gave the green light to migrate landline broadband without a code too.

Customer ease 1 Security 0

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10658 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I've not heard of this @Anonymous and now regrettably nothing surprises me anymore 😫

A couple of years ago I combined my bt landline with my broadband provider.  The process was properly carried out and confirmed in writing.

I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Quite honestly I'd be speechless (which says a lot 🤔) if it happened to me , further I would be incandescent with rage. 

I would lift-off no one (involved) would be left unscathed.😡

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I've also got a BT landline and that's part of my broadband package with the same provider.

I've had no issue with mine at all.

A few years ago, due to them running out of STD code numbers for my area, they did add another STD code. (although that wasn't anything to do with BT)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Managed to successfully get the brakes applied on it.

The culprit? a BT subsidiary from Yorkshire that does a lot of advertising, you know who I mean.

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

This gets more interesting by the day.

Just had a letter arrive from the ISP that tried to take over the line with a person's name and their e-mail address on it.

The brakes have been put on it by my ISP but going to ring this ISP to make sure nothing is getting attached to my address.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for anyone vaguely interested.

One of my folks happened to be at home yesterday and refused a delivery from the ISP that tried to take over the line.

Last night another notification of transfer landed in my inbox so again replied it wasn't me and they put the brakes on

This time rang the other ISP who found the order and said it had been cancelled but stopped short of saying they'd reject any further attempts.

Rang ofcom who basically said it was down to me to keep batting these away, just hoping that this person gets bored and gives up.

Message 6 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10658 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Gosh @Anonymous
I'm astonished.
Thanks for the update.
I hope you manage to shake these vermin off before too long.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees 

Best I can hope for is he gets bored

Message 8 of 14

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Try sending a GDPR related letter to the ISP regarding what info they have on you & your address. Pointing out its not your name on the address which would technically put them in breach of the law. Guaranteed they'll have to respond and it will then stop.

Message 9 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions