cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smileys

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I only put an emoticon  with my message if I'm writing on this page by clicking on the icon above?

I'm thinking about getting a new printer, one that will also scan and copy. Does anyone know if there is any make that I should steer clear of, please? i don't want one that is too expensive.

Suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

Immey.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

How about one of these instead of Kudos...?

smiley_with_thumbs_up.gif

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use a Hp printer for everyday stuff like you have mentioned. I get good return on cartridges and there are some great 3rd party cartridge companies out there. I use Amazon for those purchases but I will say that it really depends on the printer you want and do the homework before buying. 

Message 12 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kodak printers have had some good reviews and have been highly recommended for home use - with running costs being a key factor (about half the running cost of an equivalent Lexmark)

Message 13 of 25

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I use a Kodak solely because of the quality and the ink costs. You can get some really cheap cartridges from Amazon and from the independent retailers online.

Message 14 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I needed cartridges for a Lexmark a while back and the cheapest price was directly from Lexmark's own website - I didn't expect that.

Speaking of which - with the "cheap to buy - expensive to run" printers, you can slash the cost of inks by buying "high capacity" cartridges.  Many such printers give two item codes for each cartridge - one will be high capacity which may cost twice as much but will often give four or more times as much ink.   (Stricly speaking, the cartridge itself is often exactly the same and high street re-fill shops will usually fill them - giving a lot more ink and bigger savings than a simple price comparison would suggest).

Message 15 of 25

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm still running an old Epson Stylus Color 880, fair quality printer and about 10 years old now.

I get the compatible ink at £1.49 - £1.98 each depending on quantity, for black or colour.

I don't think those prices are beatable are they?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 25

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Since you're not doing a great deal of printing, don't spend over £50. We've got a lexmark that cost that a few years ago and its a superb machine that does photos and scans. Carts from amazon are quite reasonable for now as lexmark are exiting the inkjet business. Then again lexmark carts are notoriously expensive in comparison.

I've always gone with HP as I've found them excellent though I did have a fantastic Brother all in one unit that unfortunately got zapped by a lighting surge through the phone line. Good CS too as they replaced the first one because of it.

If you go over to Currys they've got an HP 3520 that does duplex automatically and has the capability of XL size carts for about £50. Auto duplex is brilliant! Its the same carts as mine and I don't think the prices are unreasonable at around £7 each considering the output (5 pack is around £25}. Even better is that HP are starting to equip all their printers with eprint  so you can send an email from anywhere and it will be printed at home. 

Oh and don't forget that if you have it near a radiator you run the risk of the ink drying out unless you use it often. Have a look at ebay for manufacturer refurbs as there are sometimes great deals. 

Message 17 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I say "Thank you" to sheepdog, perksie, pengipete, jonsie and steersy.

You were all very helpful answering my query about a printer.Smiley Very Happy x5

I can do my homework and choose one.

Immey

Message 18 of 25

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You're welcome Immey, I think you have something to be going on with there.:smileyhappy:

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 19 of 25

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I say "Thank you" to sheepdog, perksie, pengipete, jonsie and steersy.

Immey

* cough *
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 25