cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sir Jackie Stewart: 'Race Against Dementia'.

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I have just watched a very moving interview with former F1 racing driver Sir Jackie Stewart.

His beautiful wife Helen was diagnosed with dementia 2 years ago and he was describing how their lives have changed. He has started a charity called Race Against Dementia. This is what he said.....

"I have accepted that there may be nothing I can do to save my wife, even though I will do my damn hardest to do so .

I am going to try and put an end to this global epidemic. I am now facing one of my biggest personal challenges of my life and will make sure that, whilst I am still on this Earth, I put all my efforts in finding a cure for this horrendous illness. I want to make sure I can do all I can to help millions of people around the world avoid this heartache.”

Race Against Dementia is aiming to raise millions of pounds from donations to fund global research into a cure for the condition, and is backed by a number of wealthy trustees, many of them from the world of F1.....It will help fund research into the identification and development of new drugs to treat dementia, as well as other studies of the disease

I really wish him all the luck in the world for this massive venture.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/14597650.Sir_Jackie_Stewart_reveals_wife_s_battle_with_d...

Race Against Dementia link here http://raceagainstdementia.com/#/race-against-dementia

For me one of the most poignant statements he made this morning..'Sometimes you can win a F1 race when you start from the back of the grid. I hope this will be the same'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It's a terrible illness and really takes its toll on loved ones. I really hope enough funds are raised and we get a breakthrough in treating Dementia. 

Message 2 of 5

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

What a loving husband and caring person he is. I also wish him all the luck in combating this awful disease. Thanks for posting @Cleoriff ❤️ x

giphy-3
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I know he is rich enough ...but he has a massive amount of 'clout' in the outside world as he is so respected. There is a hell of a lot of money in F1 and now he has started this campaign we can only hope.

He has kept quiet about his wifes dementia till now....but then said... if he wanted to raise funds then he had to bring it out in the open....

Sir Jackie said that his wife was the "original pit lane girl", and that he had immediately fallen in love with her razor sharp mind when they met. (They have been together for 54 years).

He said: "I have watched Helen change before my very eyes for the last two years. It is her mind that is vanishing. Her short term memory is shot – she never remembers where I am even after I repeatedly tell her.

Best of luck Sir Jackie...you have my utmost respect. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

One of my good friend's wives was diagnosed with dementia a couple of years ago. She's only in her early 50's. It's destroyed both their lives. She isn't even capable of making a cup of tea any more. Breaks my heart to see her like that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5