Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seven Worlds: One Planet

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just a heads up for those of us who love nature.

Sir David Attenboroughs new series Seven Worlds, One Planet Starts on BBC 1 this month 27th October on BBC.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29387766/david-attenborough-documentary-seven-worlds-one-planet-air-d... 

The series will be broadcast over seven weeks, and marks the first time BBC Studios' prestigious Natural History Unit has explored all of the planet's continents in a single series.

Even better, the musical score will be written and performed by the wonderful Hans Zimmer.

I can't wait wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Tonights episode was about Asia. Again the programme was passing the message on about climate change and the devastating effect it has on wildlife in this continent.

We saw walruses packed on to a rocky beach, with cliffs , also rock. All this because the ice floes are melting. Those who climbed to the top of the rocks to escape being crushed by others on the 'beach', had no way to get down and in 2 days 200 fell to their death on the rocks below.

Harrowing to watch.

Nature being what it is, this helped the polar bears who were in desperate need of food.

In Russia we saw bears coming out of hibernation on snow covered volcanic areas. Eager to feed they needed to stay away from the volcanic hot pools.

There was a snow forest in China, recently discovered home to some very rare blue nosed monkeys who had to huddle to keep warm and had a limited food supply.

Travelled to the deserts of Iran and then on to Sumatra, the natural habitat of orangutans. Beautiful animals who again are losing a place to live.

According to Sir David 1/3 of the Sumatran forest has been destroyed in 20 years. Now replaced with Palm oil trees. Evil

One wonderful section was filmed showing a sanctuary for the endangered whale shark. In West Papua, the whale sharks command an ancient respect and are able to safely gather in remarkable numbers, enjoying a rare moment of refuge as local fishermen treat them to an easy meal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3C4VswtgvChbx2cY3kT8tJY/a-sanctuary-for-the-endangered-wha... 

As usual, this is beautifully filmed and does have some lovely moments. However, with the emphasis on climate change, it is hard to watch. Though for anyone who has an interest in preservation of nature and wildlife, it really shouldn't be missed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000b1tw 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 26

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff I haven't had a chance to catch up but reading your thoughts on the episodes so far, I really want to! Although some parts are heartbreaking, as were some of the bits in the latest Netflix show that was on a similar matter (I know we both watched it ;)), it's beautiful and fascinating. 

Incredibly eye opening as well, as always! I'm guessing from the title there will be 7 episodes? Is there one you're looking forward to particularly?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

It's a must see in this household so I just look forward to seeing them all.

I had to record it (and Strictly Come Dancing) as F1 was on in the US and I desperately wanted to see Lewis win his 6th WDC as it happened.

The message from every show is about climate change and it's effect on the world of wildlife so it certainly isn't a programme which fills you with delight (although there are a lot of amusing sections).

However, for anyone who wants to learn more about the plight our world finds itself in and what we can do about it as individuals, it really needs watching.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I watched Asia. I’m not impressed.. one minute it’s sharks, then snakes then bears. Don’t get me wrong the photography and commentary are up to the usual DA standard but I wish it was in the usual format.

Having said that, the snake with the spider like tail fooling birds was well worth the watch.

And who’d have thought snub nosed, golden monkeys would have blue faces?
Message 14 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes I agree there is a lot to see @Anonymous  though if you are ramming 7 worlds into 7 one hour shows, there is an awful lot to cover. (Particularly as the over-riding message is about climate change and its effect on the environment)

When you think it took over 4 years to make and the effort the production crew made to get those spectacular shots it's pretty amazing really. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 26

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the info on the Asia programme @Cleoriff . Unfortunately I missed it but will watch it on catch up. I think this is going to be an amazing series with wonderful, if not sometimes harrowing images and filming, and an underlying and inescapable measure about climate change.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 16 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Thank you for the info on the Asia programme @Cleoriff . Unfortunately I missed it but will watch it on catch up. I think this is going to be an amazing series with wonderful, if not sometimes harrowing images and filming, and an underlying and inescapable measure about climate change.

I think the most harrowing scene for me @Mi-Amigo  was watching a massive colony of large walrus's trying to huddle on a very rocky beach and climb cliffs. Two years ago they would have been on ice floes, which have now melted.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 26

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff Has there been any new episodes since you last posted? Any highlights? I'll try to catch up very soon on all of this series, figers crossed slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I only caught the tail end of the last programme. Mum Lynx hunting with 3 cubs.. fail after fail and the camera crew got them all on camera until day 30 when it all came together and you saw the result in the program.

I’d quite happily skip watching 50 mins and just watch the ‘how it was filmed’ segment.
Message 19 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

Yes Episode 3 was South America, the most species rich continent on Earth. From the Volcanoes of the Andes to the Amazon rainforest we saw different animals carving out a niche

We saw a Puma mum of 3 cubs make a death defying try for prey of guanaco. She was severely injured on her 2nd attempt but successful on her 3rd attempt (Dragging her prey nearly a mile to feed the cubs)

We also saw Andean Bears climbing 30ft trees to get fruit. Poisonous frogs finding unique ways of protecting tadpoles etc etc.

One of the most spectacular sights was a colony of swifts who nested behind one of the most ferocious waterfalls in Igauzu. Just when the chicks are due to fly the nest, coincides with the waterfall at it's most rapid. To see these swifts attempt this flight was both upsetting and uplifting.

Again, beautifully filmed, 3 years work and emphasis on the changes to the planet as seen from space.

Next week it's Australia, which I will miss as I'm away.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 26