Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Fold release delayed

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I suppose this will come as no surprise to those of us who have been following news about the Samsung Fold.

"Samsung has postponed the release of its folding smartphone, days after several early reviewers said the screens on their devices had broken.

The company said it had delayed the launch of the Galaxy Fold to "fully evaluate the feedback and run further internal tests".

In April, several early reviewers found the display on the Galaxy Fold broke after just a few days.

Samsung has not said when the £1,800 device will go on sale.

A new launch date will be announced in the "coming weeks".

In a statement, Samsung said it suspected the damage experienced by some of the reviewers was caused by "impact on the top and bottom exposed areas of the hinge".

It also said it found "substances" inside one of the review devices that may have affected its performance."

It should have been released in 3 days on April 26th in the US and May 2nd in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48013395

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always been of the opinion that manufacturers are very good at "creating a need" for their latest products, but I genuinely don't see the point of a foldable screen. There's possibly some benefit if it happens to be your only device, but even then, the compromise in quality doesn't justify the price tag, when you could buy two separate devices (probably better specced as well) for the same money.

But I'm probably missing the point  thinking

Message 11 of 30

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I love Samsung as well @Glory1 but never in a million years would I pay that price for a phone.

If you compare that with the price of our new build detached house in 1969 which was £4125, it makes your eyes water!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, Samsung are inferring they have a massive backlist of pre-orders....rolling_eyes

Yeah, of course they have a massive backlist of preorders. Oh wait a pig just flew past my window LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 30

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10656 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Comes back to money making @Anonymous  for no really good reason other than Samsung need "your" money ~ got to pay our Executive Officers etc., they need their up-market cars and up-market homes ~ kids need private school oh and so much moreCrazy LOL

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 13 of 30

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Comes back to money making @Anonymous  for no really good reason other than Samsung need "your" money ~ got to pay our Executive Officers etc., they need their up-market cars and up-market homes ~ kids need private school oh and so much moreCrazy LOL

To be fair @TallTrees Samsung don't make their money from their phones division. They have a hand in so many other pies, including washing machines, fridges, televisions, blue ray players etc. It's what they earn from these divisions plus others I can't remember that keeps the phones division going.

Message 14 of 30

TallTrees
  • 10656 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Thank you @Glory1 

Have to take my comments with a "pinch of salt"  heart_eyes

Edited to say ~

Also I realise the costs of research/trials on these would be enormous too

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 30

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Thank you @Glory1 

Have to take my comments with a "pinch of salt"  heart_eyes

Edited to say ~

Also I realise the costs of research/trials on these would be enormous too

Yep @TallTrees horrendous would probably be more like it. 

Don't get me wrong, charging £1,800 for a phone, even a Samsung phone, is the daftest thing I've heard. But, there again there are fools, with more money than sense, that will pay it. Even if I could afford it, which I can't, why would I want to pay silly money for a phone that opens up into a tablet, when I already have a tablet that is perfect for my needs.

Only people who want bragging rights will even consider paying such a staggering sum.

Message 16 of 30

TallTrees
  • 10656 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Without a doubt in my case! @Glory1 

I am striving for a Champagne Phone with Lemonade Pricesinnocent

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 17 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TallTrees wrote:

Luv that phrase @TallTrees  LOL

Message 18 of 30

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Well if you find one @TallTrees let me know, cause I'll be right behind you in the shop thumbsupsmiling

Message 19 of 30

TallTrees
  • 10656 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

I think there may be a stampede @Glory1 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 20 of 30