Did you mean: 

SKYPE - ive lost a child !!!!

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi i may have posted about this before but theres 2 aspects

1 I and my daughter in law lost the SMS contact with my son, her hubby. almost t the same time a few weeks ago.

2  I manage to make things worse as I was requested to re ask him for his contact details .   I did and did and did.       Nothing . Theres a ? beside his avatatr now......

Any advice

3   There one faint possibility making the above complex.   My microsoft live . com    email address. I noticed the primary address is defunt. I closed an email account when the company was hacked some time ago.

HOW do i get in to my account and change this . And would it have a baring on the SKYPE account problems.....Theres a phone no i am part hearing so dont know how to in touch with microsoft

Happy december folks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Skype is owned by MS and users your windows account to sign in, so if you don't have a windows login it won't work anymore.
I think that even the old accounts that were just username and password driven have been converted to windows ID now too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I've been using Skype since it started. My username and password haven't changed. I think Windows tried to change things, but I somehow managed to get around it. I haven't a clue how, but I did.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I did the same @Bambino but on the pc 💻 I needed to go onto the Skype website and downloaded it from there. Then I was able to use my own original  sign in details. Just ignored the built in app. After that it worked fine on my phones. 

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sounds like a useful workaround although everything was just as it was when I was forced to use my windows login, so probably not worth losing any sleep over it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I meant myself not losing any sleep over it and yes, could be a useful workaround.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I meant myself not losing any sleep over it and yes, could be a useful workaround.

Ah gotcha 😀

Any help @Jenny105

Message 8 of 10

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks Jonsie.

Im not good on wots an app and whats a programme. I use laptop all the time at the moment so would you spell out exactly what to do in simple steps.

I seem to remember downloading a new version of SKYPE just before this happened.

Other factors -

* I think i have an odd mix of Win 10  (tiles) and Win 8.1 (deskop, that might be a factor). At the week end i closed the skype tile on win 10 facia but no joy.

_*Also have email issue with microsoft email - see another post - i think On sun 4th

*Is it possible to close down SKYPE account altogether ? and start again. I only had a few contacts and only 2 were important . Or is that not possible without closing the whole of the microsoft account

Message 9 of 10

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi

I have microsft account but a few months ago there was an issue about this, but thought it had resolved itself.  

Microsoft never understand how older people view on things and as i dont seem to have the normal win 10 it makes that even  harder.

However I did notice one thing when using Microsoft live recently. The email address shown on LIVE is different and is one i closed ages ago because the email provider as hacked. I'd no idea it was primary email for LIVE. also its not responding because of this or because I dont know the password (i know password for email etc)

I may have to phone Microsoft but dont have much confidence it will help and thta the call will cost an  arm and a leg

Message 10 of 10