Did you mean: 

Royal Wedding: Your decoration & reception picks

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey everyone,

With only two days left until the big day, it's time for another one of our countdown discussions!

So far, we talked about where you'd host your wedding, what you would wear, and how you'll be following saturday's event. Now if we want to paint the complete picture of your ideal wedding, we have to talk about some more practical stuff - the decoration and reception party

What would your reception be like? 

Buffet or table service?

Flowers or personalised/monogrammed items?

Live band or DJ?

Tiered cake or little sweet bites?

Chocolate fountain or Ice sculpture?

Let's hear your preferences smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Ok @EmilieT I will kick this off...ok_hand

Buffet or table service?

Table service

Flowers

Live band or DJ?

Both

Individual cupcakes on a tiered stand

Neither as I think they are a bit naff  joy

One thing I totally disagree with is a 'free bar'.

My sisters daughter got married and they put on a free bar for 100 guests.

They weren't short of money so felt they could afford it. My sister was teetotal and actually didn't agree with it, but her husband was adamant....

The cost of that free bar exceeded the cost of the whole wedding. It was quite sickening to watch people return time and time again, asking for the most expensive alcohol in range and generally becoming more and more drunk and disorderly on other peoples money.

This wedding was 20 years ago and if I tell you the bar bill was in excess of £5000, I'm sure you will see what I mean... I don't think my sister and her husband spoke for two weeks after that fiasco. Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buffet service

Flowers

DJ

3-tiered (Victoria sponge inside) iced wedding cake

No chocolate fountain = messy ... & ... no ice  sculpture as un-necessary

champagne on arrival of guests at reception ... but ... also juices / sparkling water / tea / coffee

I agree @Cleoriff not a free bar after initial drink of champagne 

So sorry for your sister & her husband = £5,000 drinks bill slight_frown

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think bottles of wine on the table would be fine @Anonymous. Once the meal was finished, that would be the end of the wine....lol

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That's not a great surprise for newly weds, @Cleoriff astonished

Out of both your replies the cakes caught my eye and now I'm trying to refrain from planning a full on baing weekend cake strawberry @Anonymous said she'd go for a classic (yet delicious) victoria sponge, any cupcake preferences? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 5 of 11

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Buffet or table service?

Buffet but super varied and cool items

Both!

Live band or DJ?

DJ

HUGE tiered cakes both savoury and sweet

Oh just read your cupcake idea @Cleoriff, I love red velvet cupcakes!! Those could be arranged around the cake. grin

Chocolate fountain! (it would be interesting in zero gravity)

Message 6 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

A variety of cupcakes @EmilieT. My son had something similar for his wedding. It was a first for our cake maker (a family friend) she had never done this before.

It was also difficult. Normal fruit wedding cakes can be made weeks in advance, stored in tins then iced over a period of time before the wedding

Cupcakes are sponge and individual...so she had to start on the Tuesday before the big day. Freeze the individual sponges and bring them all out for icing on the Friday for delivery to the venue on Saturday.

She isn't a professional employing loads of people so she worked through the night.

(It didn't help that it was the hottest week of the year) Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

A variety of cupcakes @EmilieT. My son had something similar for his wedding. It was a first for our cake maker (a family friend) she had never done this before.

It was also difficult. Normal fruit wedding cakes can be made weeks in advance, stored in tins then iced over a period of time before the wedding

Cupcakes are sponge and individual...so she had to start on the Tuesday before the big day. Freeze the individual sponges and bring them all out for icing on the Friday for delivery to the venue on Saturday.

She isn't a professional employing loads of people so she worked through the night.

(It didn't help that it was the hottest week of the year) Happy Dance

Well done your cake making friend @Cleoriff ... & ... re: your comment regarding wine on tables = yes, that'd be alright ... hadn't thought of that ... wine

Message 8 of 11

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff That sounds like an impressive piece, I'd love to see some photos of it! 

signature

Message 9 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

@Cleoriff That sounds like an impresisve piece, I'd love to see some photos of it! 

We haven't got any @EmilieT.
I know that sounds awful but as the 'mother of the groom' I had no space for a camera in my bag. It was 2005 and a photographer was on hand. He took loads of photos. We chose an album from those taken but never picked one of the cake.

The marriage broke down about a year after. Sad, as they had actually been together for 6 years before that.. All the photos stayed with my sons wife.

We have all stayed friends, though I never felt the need to ask her for any of the other wedding pics.wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 11