cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round Table style Forum Boards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys and Gals,

I regulary visit Nokia Discussions as I like to keep abreast of whats new etc.

There are the usual forum boards there and one also called " The Round Table" where only elite members of a certain rating can be added by the moderators where subjects can be discussed out of the view of guests and freshmen members.

I know we have the "off topic boards" but I wonder if this is of interest for here ?

Just a thought so please dont flame me ! lol.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

I do like the concept.

It would be intriguing to some extent having the ability to comment on future O2 products/plans like they do with their surveys(still am yet to receive one haha)

There's a good selection of opposing views from "leading" members it could make for some interesting posts for o2s future. Rather than the inevitable post stating "O2 sucks fix my service" breaking the flow of ideas.

main reason I'd like to see a so called superuser area would be the monthly worst written post award grin

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 21 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:

main reason I'd like to see a so called superuser area would be the monthly worst written post award grin

You missed the capital "M" off "Main", the hyphens in "so-called" and "worst-written" and the full-stop after "award".

We may as well just get that trophy engraved now. grin

Message 22 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
slight_smile haha I'm a strong contender but not sure I'd be a winner :P. <<period happy? slight_smile

Hey ho, at least I'd win something grin
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 23 of 44

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I've always like the idea of having a section that the mods can explain why a post has been edited outside of leaving a message on the post. At least it gives some of us a better idea of why its been removed in the light of a Mod being unavailable after the inevitable complaint about moderation.  Viewable by "superusers" and stuff that Leonard etc can put out to us as feelers that doesn't warrant having all and sundry hijacking the discussion about o2 CS (and not a liquid derailment :smileywink:)

Message 24 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

I can assure you the Superuser section was nothing like you imagine in the above post -- lets stick to reality here.

I wouldn't know - and nor would anyone who wasn't in that member's only club - which is kind of the point.

Certainly there will be some cases where private, restricted areas have been moderate - maybe even some where they've actually done something useful - but that doesn't mean I'm being unrealistic in pointing out potential pitfalls and suggesting that what is approriate for one forum and it's membership may not be the best thing for others.

Regardless of anything else, this is a customer forum and basically a part of O2's customer services.  All O2 customers should be given equal treatment and access at all times - anything else is ill-advised. 

Message 25 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I must concur with pengipete even after his pedantic post :P.

Only reason I could agree with having an invite only sub section would be an extension of the "join in" community.
Message 26 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

I've always like the idea of having a section that the mods can explain why a post has been edited outside of leaving a message on the post. At least it gives some of us a better idea of why its been removed in the light of a Mod being unavailable after the inevitable complaint about moderation.  Viewable by "superusers" and stuff that Leonard etc can put out to us as feelers that doesn't warrant having all and sundry hijacking the discussion about o2 CS (and not a liquid derailment :smileywink:)

If you're referring to knowing why your own posts have been removed, that should be done via private communication - a pm saying "your post was removed because..."

If you are referring to being able to see why someone else's post was removed - big problem.   As a member, I am "pengipete" and anything I post in the forum falls outside of the Data Protection Act or any other laws or T&Cs related to my privacy - but as a registered member of this forum and O2 in general, anything ABOUT me is potentially covered under the DPA.  If Leonard was to remove my post and there is any record of that action that can be tied to my registration details - my PII (Personally Identifiable Information), he is not allowed by law to let someone who is not an authorised Data Controller or Data Processor have access to it. 

Fundamentally - allowing people to see why someone else's post was removed is no different to a moderator or forum official openly posting "Pengipete insulted Fred and he swore so I had him" - unacceptable and potentially illegal.  O2 can't afford to take the chance - they can't claim the same exemptions that a small or private forum might - they have to be professional and squeaky clean - even if that sometimes means they can't satisfy everyone's curiosity.

The short version of that - it's no-one's business other than the forum staff and the individual member why a post was removed.  If the individual wants to share that information with anyone else - he can - by pm - but that should always and only be his or her choice.

Message 27 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well theres been some very interesting thoughts on this subject.

I trust my thread subject matter has not offended.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I wasn't aware that such a forum board existed some time ago !

Maybe the seasoned members who were a part of that can divulge its pro's and con's.

I'm sure Leonard and Toby will take an overall look and decide if its practical / useful.
Message 28 of 44

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I do like the idea a lot. I just wonder how it could be made fair and not making it ridiculously selective.
Or even what it could be used for that cannot already be displayed on the current forums.

I think if anyone has been offended by this they need to book a physc evaluation. (Advise the same to anyone offended by my comment:))
Message 29 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

To messy, doubt very much I would be invited anyway.

The forum set up is fine, may need a few tweaks but the biggest problem is the brown nosing and pointless responses to OP's. 

I have stayed away a little more this last few weeks as some people seem to be more interested in post count rather than dealing with the questions put forward and pampering blatant BS. 

Message 30 of 44