Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming sim cards

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I wonder if this is the future or it will go the way of other attempts to switch between networks?

"A consumer-focused Sim card that automatically connects users to whichever UK mobile network has the best signal is set to go on sale.

Lancashire-based start-up Anywhere Sim aims to launch its notspot-tackling service within five weeks.

A small number of other mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) already offer national roaming in the UK, but target their products at business customers.

One expert said demand for the new service might be limited by its cost.

The main operators - Vodafone, EE, O2 and Three - have resisted pressure from the government to offer national roaming themselves."

National roaming Anywhere Sim card to tackle UK notspots - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33091991

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Sounds great @jonsie.... If we could be assured it would work....and work well wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Interesting idea in principle, however it appears making calls etc is limited to the O2 network to get the 5p rate, to do this on other networks they are charging double the rates, which could work out expensive for some users.

Consider as well that a lot of user will use around 1 GB of data per month, at 5p per mb this is over £50! a lot of users would be better off just getting a few different network PayT sims.
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Definitely cost limited at the mo, but who knows what for the future.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Brilliant idea if they can get the majors to agree, hopefully the cost will drop as it gets more popular.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Agreement is the issue quite apart from the cost. Such a good idea but I remain sceptical I'm afraid.

Message 6 of 6