Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Off-Topic

Highlighted
Community Manager

Rise of the robots - Urban Dubai and China's cities of the future!

Hey everyone, 

A recent news article has detailed the use of “robot police officers” in both Dubai and China. Whilst these robots are still fairly simple and limited to basic surveillance and are currently more for show than anything else.

As the technology improves and the drones become far more autonomous we are likely to see these kinds of robots take on a more active role in policing and surveillance.

adult-blur-bright-529599.jpg

This along with the increasing prevalence of aerial drones taking on roles around big cities like deliveries, maintenance of tall structures, construction and surveillance the future is going to be filled with robots!

What are your thoughts on the rise of the machines? Would you object to being given a ticket by a robotic police officer? How do you feel about a fleet of drones constantly flying overhead? Let us know in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? See if the My O2 how-to guide will help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Highlighted
Topics: 716

Re: Rise of the robots - Urban Dubai and China's cities of the future!

Not sure how comfortable I am with the 'rise of the machines' generally speaking @Martin-O2

Though I don't have a problem with basic surveillance which allows more freedom than CCTV's....

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Anonymous

It’s becoming more like the machines taking over in the terminator films. Quite scary actually 

Highlighted
Topics: 83
Blog Posts: 2

I was thinking the same as @Anonymous. And like him I find it a bit scary and could be very intrusive.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Highlighted
Anonymous

Bit concerned how AI and robotics seem to be the cure all for everything at the moment.

Highlighted
Topics: 266

@Anonymous wrote:

Bit concerned how AI and robotics seem to be the cure all for everything at the moment.

I agee @Anonymous ... they do have their uses eg very recently a police operated drone found an elderly man up to his chest in water having been there overnight, he'd strayed off a path in East Anglia

*possum si vollo* *per ardua ad astra*

I don't work for O2
Xperia L1 - The Android Army Marches Onwards
Acer Aspire 5750 laptop
Unlimited Sky Broadband
MI6 - Commander Jane TOP SECRET - Status 00 Licensed To Type - HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE + pic of a very young Lois Maxwell (have mug to prove it) - Promotion tbc to Data Entry
Highlighted
Topics: 23

Seems they have found a really effective use with the rescue services as well as the Police which is good. However when they start sticking on tear gas and tasers for "crowd control", then we should be worried. 

Automatons would never work in the UK. Within minutes of sensibly placed one for simple tasks, it will be defaced, vandalised and ironically stolen or the object of many a drunken persons attention.

Highlighted
Topics: 545

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44526984
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Topics: 716

[ Edited ]

As long as I never hear

"You have 20 seconds to comply" scream

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Topics: 23

[ Edited ]

@Cleoriff wrote:

As long as I never hear

"You have 20 seconds to comply" scream

Hmmm, I wonder if You have 20 seconds to comply is The Chant of the Moderators(TM)

Sheepdog in "Checking for any Mods named ED209" mode