cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rise of the robots - Urban Dubai and China's cities of the future!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

A recent news article has detailed the use of “robot police officers” in both Dubai and China. Whilst these robots are still fairly simple and limited to basic surveillance and are currently more for show than anything else.

As the technology improves and the drones become far more autonomous we are likely to see these kinds of robots take on a more active role in policing and surveillance.

adult-blur-bright-529599.jpg

This along with the increasing prevalence of aerial drones taking on roles around big cities like deliveries, maintenance of tall structures, construction and surveillance the future is going to be filled with robots!

What are your thoughts on the rise of the machines? Would you object to being given a ticket by a robotic police officer? How do you feel about a fleet of drones constantly flying overhead? Let us know in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Not sure how comfortable I am with the 'rise of the machines' generally speaking @Martin-O2

Though I don't have a problem with basic surveillance which allows more freedom than CCTV's....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s becoming more like the machines taking over in the terminator films. Quite scary actually 

Message 3 of 16

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I was thinking the same as @Anonymous. And like him I find it a bit scary and could be very intrusive.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bit concerned how AI and robotics seem to be the cure all for everything at the moment.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Bit concerned how AI and robotics seem to be the cure all for everything at the moment.

I agee @Anonymous ... they do have their uses eg very recently a police operated drone found an elderly man up to his chest in water having been there overnight, he'd strayed off a path in East Anglia

Message 6 of 16

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Seems they have found a really effective use with the rescue services as well as the Police which is good. However when they start sticking on tear gas and tasers for "crowd control", then we should be worried. 

Automatons would never work in the UK. Within minutes of sensibly placed one for simple tasks, it will be defaced, vandalised and ironically stolen or the object of many a drunken persons attention.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44526984
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As long as I never hear

"You have 20 seconds to comply" scream

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

As long as I never hear

"You have 20 seconds to comply" scream

Hmmm, I wonder if You have 20 seconds to comply is The Chant of the Moderators(TM)

Sheepdog in "Checking for any Mods named ED209" mode

Message 10 of 16