cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rise of the robots - Urban Dubai and China's cities of the future!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

A recent news article has detailed the use of “robot police officers” in both Dubai and China. Whilst these robots are still fairly simple and limited to basic surveillance and are currently more for show than anything else.

As the technology improves and the drones become far more autonomous we are likely to see these kinds of robots take on a more active role in policing and surveillance.

adult-blur-bright-529599.jpg

This along with the increasing prevalence of aerial drones taking on roles around big cities like deliveries, maintenance of tall structures, construction and surveillance the future is going to be filled with robots!

What are your thoughts on the rise of the machines? Would you object to being given a ticket by a robotic police officer? How do you feel about a fleet of drones constantly flying overhead? Let us know in the comments below! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I'm not sure I could accept a future where we have drones or automatons policing us. Giving out parking or speeding tickets is completely unacceptable to me. There used to be fun in knowing where patrol cars where sat waiting and setting the sat nav to check for speed cameras so do we now get satnavs with inbuilt radar to check when drones are in the area? Mind you we already have the average speed zones now !

No, all too futuristic for me though I guess it's inevitable in time.

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking of will robots be employed / de-ployed in areas where there are jobs which are low paid eg care industry ... Am I being way too futuristic? ... That would scare me truly ... I may at some, hopefully distant point in the future need more than I do atm ... I have an 'Official Carer' as I have advised the DWP & my GP ... my carer is superb & we're more like friends (I pay for her 1 hour a week) - but I can call on the firm she works for for advice / assistance if I need it ... BUT, THE FUTURE IS SCARY ... scream

Thank you @MI5 for posting a link to my post about news of the elderly man being rescued with the help of a polie drone

Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Just to add a bit of fun to the thread....joy

Aliens.jpg

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I think it's all about how this new technology is used. It can be used for good like @MI5's example but there is a lot of room for abuse. Their arrival is inevitable so we have to make sure they are properly regulated to prevent abuse. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The buzz phrases at the moment seem to be "Artificial Intelligence" and "Machine Learning"

If a machine learns and effectively programs itself the code will quickly become nonsensical to a human developer.

This happened with Facebook's chatbot experiment

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-artificial-intelligence-ai-c...

Message 15 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous I suppose the real worry is that the machines can still understand each other but leave the humans in the dark! astonished robot robot 

signature

Message 16 of 16