Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right antivirus reccomendations?

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Since avg seems to have dropped the ball on me(probaly my fault as well) I have been infected with a beautiful bit of malware that's downloading new viruses to its hearts content:( currently running a bootable malwarebytes disk in the hope it catches it(fingers crossed).

Thankfully my backups stay true to their word and are in perfect working order (phew!!).

Unfortunatly I've now lost a days work:(

Anyone got any good reccomendations? For a free firewall/antivirus? If need be ill pay but I've spent enough this month haha.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Avg have been perfect until now:(

Probally my bad as I costed a not so legit website for a tutorial on app analytics.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Panda Cloud Antivirus Free
Message 12 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Symantec Cloud Endpoint protection. (paid for) Is installed on all the work Pc's and not that expensive £45.60 per pc covered for 3 years http://www.symantec.com/endpoint-protection-small-business-edition-2013?fid=symantec-cloud note the free 30 day trial

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 13 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Liquid........so there's 5 recommendations....any wiser because I'm not !!

I've seen so many threads on the various forums over the years asking the same question and always there are 6 - 10 suggestions as to the best AV.

In the end it's what "suits you Sir"....I've changed AV 4 times in 8 years.
Message 14 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

some very usefull comparison data here http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

and the awards went to http://www.av-test.org/en/test-procedures/award/2012/

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 24

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

If you're running Win 7 or higher then you might as well stick with MS Essentials defender or whatever it is. Providing you have set your user accounts to non-admin then you'll be fine. Otherwise I'm really happy with Comodo firewall on my XP systems. Though I do tend to stick with Comodo Dragon browser these days after Firefox got exploited and almost broke my work laptop.

Message 16 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

AVG certainly did drop the ball a few years ago when they introduced all of the bloatware into their software which just slowed computers down.

Norton/Symantec also slows computers down and I always advise people to stay away from this software, not least because they have to pay for it when there are plenty of free alternatives out there.

I have been using Avast! Free Edition for the last few years on Windows 7 64bit at home without a firewall and have never had a single problem. I should also probably mention that I work in IT Security so if its good for me...(I must also note that this isn't the software we use at my place of work lol)

Message 17 of 24

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
You actually switch the firewall off in Win7? I've found it relatively unobtrusive till I want to try and figure out how to allow ports through then give up trying.
Message 18 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Comodo anti-virus and Firewall, it's good but only because my Brother thinks I download too much virus infested crap so he's set the Firewall to question EVERYTHING I download, even songs from legal MP3 sites such as Amazon.

Message 19 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Haha yes comodo can be secure to the point of basically just unplugging the network.

I've gone for comodo for now and paid for Hitman pro(mainly because it saved my computer while others hadnt a clue.)

Thanks for all the reccomendations.

I stay away from windows firewall as I cannot work it out. It doesn't show popups when blocking a connection and for the brief period I was using it it blocked everything not on a default port(yh ok good thing I guess) which makes it annoying not knowing if there's a service error rather to find out its been locked out without mention:(
Message 20 of 24