Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regulator Acts On 118 Calls

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22936 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I don't know why anyone still uses these services, but they do.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44473507

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
More info

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I bet there are only a few of us here who remember when a call to 'Directory Enquiries' was free...?

Just showing my age you understand...innocent

Yes, I do remember it, but I suppose nothing in life is ever truly free Smiley Indifferent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1854472.stm

It was at the time though.....compared to £11.23 for a 90 second call to 118 nowadays....

@Cleoriff 

Well yes, and at least BT did the right thing in the end, by closing that service down. One or two have questioned why people are still using these rip-off services today, it's because sometimes they find themselves in an emergency situation, and it's often the quickest solution, particularly if they've no access to the internet. But just looking at the following stats from the OP's original news report, it becomes clear why they think they can get away with charging so much:

"Overall 2% of adults or one million people use a 118 service, rising to 4% among those over the age of 65".

Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I bet there are only a few of us here who remember when a call to 'Directory Enquiries' was free...?

Just showing my age you understand...innocent

Yes, I do remember it, but I suppose nothing in life is ever truly free Smiley Indifferent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1854472.stm

It was at the time though.....compared to £11.23 for a 90 second call to 118 nowadays....

I too remember Directory Enquiries ... when I lived in York I did a temporary stint as a BT Directory Enquiry operator

@Anonymous I think a smile is free ... you can't buy a smile unless you're a professional comedian ... & ... a smile is something which is given slight_smile 

Message 12 of 15

Tsidkenu1es
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 79 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

...Unfortunately we're living in a World of uncertainty...! because of a system  controlled by a few... forcing dog eat dog... Crazy

One Family * One Community * One Love * One Purpose
*************** UNITED ONE WORLD ***************
***** LOVE***********PEACE************JOY*******
* The Future Is In Our Hearts Our Minds And Our Souls *
Message 13 of 15

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I had many a strange conversation with 192 operators, most amusing but some downright infuriating. I do remember when I was working at the bank, calls to 118 were charged at 50p per call rather than the wallet-busting second mortgage rates these days although 50% of the time they couldn't find the ferkin number!

Message 14 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've used DQ services a few times when I didn't have a smart phone and I wasn't near a PC.

I tended to use the Yellow Pages one as you could text them and they'd text you back the number, I think that was about 2.50

I do remember think it was utter madness when the market was opened up and there seemed to be literally hundreds.

Message 15 of 15