cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Region Coded Dvd's

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do people think of the region system on dvds? they dont have it for blu rays, you can play any in any blu ray device but dvds can only play in their respective country of origin or can they play in others?

back in 2006 when the film Superman Returns was released they called it the year of Superman & all throughout the year they released every bit of superman/boy/girl, material on dvd & blu ray. I was particularly annoyed because i really wanted the Superboy season 1 set but they said that it would never be released in europe or the old b/w serials from 1948/50 but a few months ago i discovered that you can play imports on ps3, so i ordered the 2 aforementioned sets plus the long awaited release of Superboy season 2 to dvd & it works brilliant & looks great

roll on Man Of Steel & hopefully a release of Superboy seasons 3 & 4 that i will import

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

There is coding for them but most companies don't bother which shows what a load of twaddle it was for DVDs.

You can read the details here if you scroll down to 3.7 Region Codes here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice one, it does seem silly because you can get unlock codes for players anywhere or as I found out by luck that you can play imports on the newer ps3's 2009 onwards
Message 3 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I agree, it wouldn't hurt to drop it altogether.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 17

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Multi-region DVD players are cheap as chips these days.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 17

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
It was I guess the old equivalent of copy write protection. Silly idea as it was overcome within a year and now as said its fairly standard practise to have multi region DVD players.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

My dvd recorder is unlocked to play any region.

On my pc I have 2 x dvd drives, one is set as region 2 & the other one is set as region 1.

I do have some region 1 dvd's you just cant get in UK region 2 format.

Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing is I noticed that some places say multi region players but you read about that particular model then notice it only plays region 2 so not really multi region
Message 8 of 17

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

DVD Decrypter (if you can find the deceased freeware one, there's also a commercial one of a similar name) worked a treat on the pc then save as an iso which you can mount. Didn't always work especially the latest DVD's but all my region 1's are safely archived now on hard drive. There is another option by Slysoft which seems to work quite well.

Then you can use Handbrake to extract the video files for playing on other devices. Only took me several months to do my 500+ discs from iso to mp4....

Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Heard of handbrake, 500+ dedicated guy
Message 10 of 17