Did you mean: 

RARGH ruddy audi brakes!!

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
"Rant"

Why on earth would you want a 7mm hex key to take off the calliper retainers!!! Who the hell has a 7mm ooo that's right a mechanic:( stupid bolts stupid cars:( I miss my old British MG:( it had a nut to undo, a nut! If it broke hit it with a hammer and it worked. If it didn't, hit it with a bigger hammer and it coughed into life. Spent £400 on new kit for the Audi only for it to tell me to off until I brought another brand new tool I didn't already have:(

"Rant over"

Arrgh feel better:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Not quite keeping up with the times are you Liquid. I have a hex keys in my drawer on standby along with a set of jewellers screwdrivers. Simple solution: buy more tools. Its a mans right to buy more gadgets smileylol:

Oh wait, this is analogous to:

I miss my WinMob 6.1 as it could do local sync to outlook. What do you mean I have to use the cloud and set up a gmail address then sync with that when using Android?????? And what do you mean it doesn't sync with outlook calendars like everyone else?

(BTW: this works: http://www.android-sync.com/ but costs)

Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

7mm hex has also been used by Ford for year's on some caliper's.

With an Audi your lucky there not Ribe fixing's else you would have been even more annoyed.

7mm hex bit = 4th draw down in the roll cab for me.

I've got 4,5,6,7,8,10,12,14 & 17mm hex bit's.

Apart from the 7mm one which i've never actually used I use the rest of them in my job Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Lol I've got two sets .5-6 and 8-18

I never knew the 7s existed lol 😞

Considering my garage worth of tools I've collected for differing purposes (some because they were shiney;)) I can't get anything to fit haha.

I've never even heard of ribe fittings before. I'm an electritian so I deal in flat head or Phillips.... grin
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ribe's are used a lot on newer VAG stuff, you should find plenty of them holding the engine together.

Message 5 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Arrgh I have seen those before. I thought they were just star bolts:/

Yh that would of been more annoying.
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ribe's are more splined then the Torx "star" fixings.

Message 7 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Learn somthing new everyday slight_smile
Message 8 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I have a full set of tools with Snap On roller cabinet and stacking tool chests from my days as a motor mechanic but they are sadly underused nowadays. My days of rolling on my back under cars dripping ice, snow and slush everywhere are well and truly over. Don't mind the jobs under the bonnet or maybe the brakes in nice sunny weather though!

On the down side a lot of my tools are now obsolete including full sets of the old English Whitworth spanners and sockets but everything is now Metric. On the plus side, if you have an old Austin/Morris car you want working on......:smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
My dream car is still the 68 Lincoln continental. Ill have to source the older tools for that when it comes around:)
Message 10 of 24