Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R.I.P Winnie Mandela

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

South African anti-apartheid campaigner and former first lady Winnie Madikizela-Mandela has died aged 81.

She and her former husband Nelson Mandela, who were both jailed, were a symbol of the country's anti-apartheid struggle for three decades.

R.I.P Winnie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43621112

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Not without controversy in her life, but a driving force for the end of apartheid, and will always be remembered as the 'Mother of the Nation'. RIP Winnie

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bambinowrote:

Not without controversy in her life, but a driving force for the end of apartheid, and will always be remembered as the 'Mother of the Nation'. RIP Winnie

Yes, sadly later her reputation became tainted legally and politically and she made some very bad decisions.

I would rather she was remembered as an international symbol of resistance to apartheid along with Nelson Mandela. She carried on with his fight when he was jailed  and was even imprisoned herself eventually.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
An amazing woman who in spite of mistakes in later life will always be remembered for her anti-apartheid stance and her fight for black people in South Africa.

RIP Winnie
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yes a wonderful lady who sadly (for me anyway) undid much of the inspirational work she did after her husband was unjustly imprisoned during the latter part of her life. I did once admire her for all she stood for but she started believing in her own legend especially after the divorce.  RIP

Message 5 of 5