cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding 3 & 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a chance this has been asked/mentioned before, forgive me if that is the case.

As more and more people feel they require the latest technology (4g), thus less people using 'older' 3g signals, by rights, this should free up the airways for those on 3g, no? So over time, months maybe a year or so, 3g could possibly become faster, nowhere near 4g levels, but it is achievable isn't it? I have just performed a speed test on my 4s, I had D/L of 5.5mb and U/L of around 2.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a chance this has been asked/mentioned before, forgive me if that is the case.

As more and more people feel they require the latest technology (4g), thus less people using 'older' 3g signals, by rights, this should free up the airways for those on 3g, no? So over time, months maybe a year or so, 3g could possibly become faster, nowhere near 4g levels, but it is achievable isn't it? I have just performed a speed test on my 4s, I had D/L of 5.5mb and U/L of around 2.

Hi,

Im not convinced it will.

Lots of our friends across the pond who use Lte {4g} are torn between faster speeds and faster drain of their phone battery, and thus are switching back and forth.

If Uk Lte /4G fails in a fringe area it will flip onto 3g anyway.

Time will tell.

Message 2 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

It also depends on what your phone is capable of receiving. O2 is rolling out HSPA+, which is basically 3G+ and faster than EE's 4G speed, but if your phone doesn't have the capability to get that signal you will only get 3G speed.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 26

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

once all our phones are enabled to use all the frequencies in use and thanks to o2's commitment to the 98% indoor coverage  on 2g 3g and 4g, and the fact that they will have access to put equipment up on vodafones masts it will be intresting to see what develops over the next 2 years.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
That makes sense. Unless they are always on 4g. Just like being on 3g, it drops back to 2g if 3g is available.
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a 4s, I assume this won't be able to take 3g+?
Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems like O2 are pretty well set, with all options for phones. As long as our phone has the capability, we have a huge number of methods to be online!
Message 7 of 26

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

No, I don't think so. It doesn't appear to be in the UK specs:

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/iphone-4s/specs.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

No your 4s won't support Uk Lte. {4G}

Heck my iPhone 5 won't on 02 but will in the EE Network.

Even the ip5 that 02 are supplying right now won't !

People will need to upgrade.

Message 9 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144214 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
The 4s will support HSDPA which gives a theoretical 42mbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 26