Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proton Beam Cancer Therapy

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

New research suggests that Proton Beam therapy for cancer causes fewer side effects than radiotherapy.

Some will remember in 2014 the therapy was at the centre of a controversy over NHS care for children when the parents of Ashya King took him out of hospital in Hampshire to obtain the treatment abroad.

This therapy in the UK has only been available to treat eye cancers up to now.

However, further research in Oxford UK,  has had positive results

The treatment allows high-energy protons to be targeted directly at a tumour, reducing the dose to surrounding tissues and organs.

In general, it gives fewer side effects compared with high-energy X-ray treatments.

It can be used to treat spinal cord tumours, sarcomas near the spine or brain, prostate cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer and some children's cancers. It is hoped to start providing this treatment to 1500 patients by April 2018

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35440016

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Thanks for posting this @Cleoriff. Any news about advancements in treatments is always welcome news.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I must admit I was quite overjoyed when I read it @Bambino

I thought after the 2014 furore with the 4 year old child, it would be a long time before we ever saw this treatment here. Statements were made by some professionals that this would not benefit the child in question.

Those comments appeared to have a negative impact on the viability of proton beam therapy overall..

A real good job that ego and 'competition to be the first' does not get in the way of any medical advancement. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Maybe ego and competition don't get in the way, but unfortunately, money does.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/27/gilead-may-face-legal-action-if-it-doesnt-cut-prices-mass-ag.html

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a welcome piece of news after hearing of many people dying or afflicted with this disease

hopefully it will help in the fight against cancer 

Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 93220 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Thanks for posting  @Cleoriff it's nice to wake up to good news. So much hope for the welfare of our children and their children.

Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Maybe ego and competition don't get in the way, but unfortunately, money does.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/27/gilead-may-face-legal-action-if-it-doesnt-cut-prices-mass-ag.html

Ah well....now we are talking about the prices drug companies charge which is a different matter and one that enrages me. This happens when they are allowed the monopoly in distribution and manufacturing. They will always argue that by charging these prices they can invest in research etc. I feel research should be funded in other ways and allow drugs to be purchased by Health Authorities at a reasonable price, thereby giving more patients the same chance of recovery..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2206 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My mom had it back in 2013 as a prevention after her breastcancer surgery (they completelly cut it out, but after she got the therapy in case there would be little parts of the tumor left).

It's common here instead of the radioactive therapy.

She has still oedemas, but gets lymphatic drainage one day a week.

Still better as radiation with radioactive stuff.

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 8 of 8