Did you mean: 

Prorogation of Parliament was unlawful

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25120 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC breaking news - 1 min ago

Supreme Court has ruled Boris Johnson`s prorogation of Parliament was unlawful breaking news

BBC tweets:

"The prorogation was void and of no effect," Lady Hale says. "Parliament has not been prorogued."

Lady Hale continued that the speakers of the Houses of Commons and Lords "can take immediate steps to enable each house to meet as soon as possible".

It is for Parliament to decide what to do next, she says.

Reacting to the ruling, Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow says: "I welcome the Supreme Court’s judgement that the prorogation of Parliament was unlawful.

"The judges have rejected the government’s claim that closing down Parliament for five weeks was merely standard practice to allow for a new Queen’s Speech.

"In reaching their conclusion, they have vindicated the right and duty of Parliament to meet at this crucial time to scrutinise the executive and hold ministers to account.

As the embodiment of our Parliamentary democracy, the House of Commons must convene without delay.

"To this end, I will now consult the party leaders as a matter of urgency."

edited to add comments from Lady Hale and John Bercow [Speaker]

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Damn right.
Clear the lot out.
Not one fit for service.
Message 21 of 49

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Mi-Amigo
  • 25120 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As I posted on the What Made Me Happy Today thread:

It is interesting to note this comment from the Metro on-line this afternoon under the headline:

Is Lying To The Queen Treason And What Did Boris Johnson Say TO Queen Elizabeth II? 

"While lying to the Queen might not fall specifically into the catgeory of treason, it would largely depend whether the act of ‘misleading the Queen’ is regarded as disloyal as to whether treason had been committed under those circumstances. Acts of disloyalty to the Queen can still be punishable with a life sentence in prison, although such acts used to be punishable by death. Britain’s Treason Act was written in 1351 and is still in force to this day – albeit with amendments which have been made over the centuries – but is not commonly used these days." [ read story ]

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 49

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35745 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1579 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The arrogance of the prime minister is unbelievable. In all of this, only the Liberals are talking any sense at all. A general election? A 'people's vote'? You couldn't make it up. 

Never mind Boris resigning, Corbyn should be gone from the Labour Party immediately too. Get rid of the pair along with the imbecile running the Brexit party. In fact, the Brexit party should be banished from our memories.

The world of politics is a complete and utter joke and the diatribe coming from so - called educated people is never ending, boring and at times you have to wonder if we inhabit the same planet.

Revoke article 50 immediately you total morons, the world in its entirety think this country is a total joke. The lies follows lies. MPs can't even fasten their own shoes yet alone represent the constituencies who mistakenly elected them. 

I spit on them.... 

giphy (9).gif

Message 24 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25120 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC News [website]: Wed morning reported:

Commons Speaker John Bercow said MPs will sit from 11:30 BST. There will be no Prime Ministers' Questions but urgent questions, ministerial statements and emergency debates would be heard.

Michael Gove, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, said he would not criticise the court, but he "disagreed with their position". 

Pushed on whether the government would apologise, Michael Gove said they should not say sorry for "having a strong domestic agenda" and seeking a Queen's Speech;

Michael Grove also said the government would outline its approach to the court ruling later through the Leader of the Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 25 of 49

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yet another one out of touch with the serious reality of the situation this country is facing. I've just no time for the likes of him and Rees-Bog.

Message 26 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25120 Posts
  • 808 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

House of Commons reconvened. Questions to ministers.

Geoffrey Cox, Attorney General, won`t answer nor will he reveal info and advice given re-prorogation...

More hiding the truth to come... 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 27 of 49

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122768 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions