Did you mean: 

Prorogation of Parliament was unlawful

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC breaking news - 1 min ago

Supreme Court has ruled Boris Johnson`s prorogation of Parliament was unlawful breaking news

BBC tweets:

"The prorogation was void and of no effect," Lady Hale says. "Parliament has not been prorogued."

Lady Hale continued that the speakers of the Houses of Commons and Lords "can take immediate steps to enable each house to meet as soon as possible".

It is for Parliament to decide what to do next, she says.

Reacting to the ruling, Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow says: "I welcome the Supreme Court’s judgement that the prorogation of Parliament was unlawful.

"The judges have rejected the government’s claim that closing down Parliament for five weeks was merely standard practice to allow for a new Queen’s Speech.

"In reaching their conclusion, they have vindicated the right and duty of Parliament to meet at this crucial time to scrutinise the executive and hold ministers to account.

As the embodiment of our Parliamentary democracy, the House of Commons must convene without delay.

"To this end, I will now consult the party leaders as a matter of urgency."

edited to add comments from Lady Hale and John Bercow [Speaker]

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

What an unholy mess. I bet our 'friends' in other countries worldwide are laughing their socks off.

Pitiful. rage

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Have been for over 2 years now.
Message 12 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Boris has made a statement in New York. No apology for misleading Parliament.

BBC News [website] reported:

Posted at 13:5313:53

James Landale

Diplomatic correspondent

"He says there will still be a Queen's Speech. Well, how will he have a Queen's Speech without Parliament being prorogued first? Because, normally, that is what happened. But we are not in normal circumstances. So clearly, at the moment, the response from Downing Street - trying to workout just what's happening back on the ground in the UK - is a note of defiance and a degree of push-back."

BBC News also reported that members of opposition parties meeting to discuss vote of no confidence. 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 13 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
More, Discussing how to avoid one I think...
Message 14 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Laura Kuenssberg, BBC tweet
Boris to make...
"Cabinet call at about 6pm tonight before flies back from NY to face the music in Parliament tomorrow"

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 15 of 49

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The arrogance of the prime minister is unbelievable. In all of this, only the Liberals are talking any sense at all. A general election? A 'people's vote'? You couldn't make it up. 

Never mind Boris resigning, Corbyn should be gone from the Labour Party immediately too. Get rid of the pair along with the imbecile running the Brexit party. In fact, the Brexit party should be banished from our memories.

The world of politics is a complete and utter joke and the diatribe coming from so - called educated people is never ending, boring and at times you have to wonder if we inhabit the same planet.

Revoke article 50 immediately you total morons, the world in its entirety think this country is a total joke. The lies follows lies. MPs can't even fasten their own shoes yet alone represent the constituencies who mistakenly elected them. 

I spit on them.... 

Message 16 of 49

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

The arrogance of the prime minister is unbelievable. In all of this, only the Liberals are talking any sense at all. A general election? A 'people's vote'? You couldn't make it up. 

Never mind Boris resigning, Corbyn should be gone from the Labour Party immediately too. Get rid of the pair along with the imbecile running the Brexit party. In fact, the Brexit party should be banished from our memories.

The world of politics is a complete and utter joke and the diatribe coming from so - called educated people is never ending, boring and at times you have to wonder if we inhabit the same planet.

Revoke article 50 immediately you total morons, the world in its entirety think this country is a total joke. The lies follows lies. MPs can't even fasten their own shoes yet alone represent the constituencies who mistakenly elected them. 

I spit on them.... 

Image result for Applause gif

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 49

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So the outcome today was basically that the Supreme Court is now a political entity? If you have the money you can raise crowdfund a case anytime against anything the government is doing....

As for the outbursts of "commentary" from the remainers, its amazing how many of them are now quoting the constitution. You know the one they've never bothered to look at or raise over the many years they've sat in parliment whilst collecting their pay packets but now, its the perfect weapon. Can't help noticing the stupidity of some MP's already in parliament way before the speaker announced the official return and time. What does that achieve other than acknowledging you're an idiot who can take selfies.

The next steps are going to be interesting. Are they going to vote for an election, do a VoNC, keep Boris in power as a puppet or vote for the already rejected 3 times "Deal". None of them are obviously appealing as proven already and they have no answers for the aftermath of a General Election. The talk of a second confirmatory referendum then a GE is dumb given first one seems pointless now? 

However, my interest in youtube cat videos will be increasing expontentially in the next couple of weeks. 

Message 19 of 49

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions