Did you mean: 

Prorogation of Parliament was unlawful

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC breaking news - 1 min ago

Supreme Court has ruled Boris Johnson`s prorogation of Parliament was unlawful breaking news

BBC tweets:

"The prorogation was void and of no effect," Lady Hale says. "Parliament has not been prorogued."

Lady Hale continued that the speakers of the Houses of Commons and Lords "can take immediate steps to enable each house to meet as soon as possible".

It is for Parliament to decide what to do next, she says.

Reacting to the ruling, Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow says: "I welcome the Supreme Court’s judgement that the prorogation of Parliament was unlawful.

"The judges have rejected the government’s claim that closing down Parliament for five weeks was merely standard practice to allow for a new Queen’s Speech.

"In reaching their conclusion, they have vindicated the right and duty of Parliament to meet at this crucial time to scrutinise the executive and hold ministers to account.

As the embodiment of our Parliamentary democracy, the House of Commons must convene without delay.

"To this end, I will now consult the party leaders as a matter of urgency."

edited to add comments from Lady Hale and John Bercow [Speaker]

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Twitter 

Bercow calls Parliament back to sit from 11.30 tomorrow

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 2 of 49

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
And now, Boris will get exactly what he wants...
One way or the other, there will be a general election.
If the HOC doesn't call a vote of no confidence over this??? It's almost criminal itself.
Message 3 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC News [website] 2 mins ago:

Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow says that Parliament will resume tomorrow at 11:30 BST.

He says there will be no Prime Minister's Questions, which are usually scheduled on a Wednesday, because of "notification requirements".

But he adds that there will be opportunities for MPs to hold the government to account over the Supreme Court case.

"For the avoidance of doubt there will be full scope for urgent questions, for ministerial statements and applications for emergency debates under standing order 24," he says.

He says the court's unanimous, unambiguous and unqualified verdict is "the prorogation of Parliament is unlawful, unlawful because it frustrated or prevented Parliament from the discharge of its core duties and it did so at a crucial time for our country".

Mr Bercow says "the citizens of the UK are entitled to expect" that Parliament will be able to carry out its core functions of scrutiny, holding the government to account and legislating, if it chooses.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

BBC News [website]:

Liberal Democrat Leader Jo Swinson says the verdict proves Mr Johnson is "not fit for office" and "should resign".

"He has acted unlawfully in trying to silence Parliament, trying to silence the voices of the people, because he does not want to be held to account, he does not want to answer questions about his disastrous Brexit policy," she says.

Posted at 12:3312:33
Opposition MPs take a seat on the benches

Labour and the Liberal Democrat MPs tweet about returning to Parliament... [ see here  scroll down]

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 5 of 49

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Any one of them could trigger a no confidence vote.
Not one of them dare do it.

God forbid the people of this country have their say in this mess.
Message 6 of 49

Mi-Amigo
  • 25030 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Any one of them could trigger a no confidence vote.
Not one of them dare do it.

God forbid the people of this country have their say in this mess.

@viridis 

Even Boris himself can trigger a vote of no confidence, or resign, or trigger an election. No comment from him yet, but speculation of statement later. The Queen, in Balmoral, has not given a statement on, what amount to, being lied to by the Prime Minister.

What an example, the Prime Minister of this country has set to the population and how the rest of the world sees us.  

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 7 of 49

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
The rest of the world already see our democracy as a joke anyway.
Should have long left the EU by now and each time it gets delayed it damages our reputation more and more.
I mean who else is there?
Lib Dems who are openly aiming to oppose the will of the people and stop Brexit.
Labour, who's official policy seems to be to go to the EU and negotiate a deal, then take it to vote and oppose it???
Or Brexit party who are just along for the publicity ride.
However, Brexit has turned out EXACTLY how I said it would.
Message 8 of 49

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10675 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
YIPPEE for the Courts (no fudge there, brilliant).
BORIS should be drummed out of the conservative party, parliament and BRITAIN.
@Mi-Amigo

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 49

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Except he won't.
Message 10 of 49